What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Alternatives to stealthburner?

h7s

So I'm having issues with my stealthburner (probably my own fault somewhere, just didn't find where yet) on trident and its pain to troubleshoot as in my opinion its form over function gone wrong. Just removing the front is pain because I've used the PCB by Hartk and its just awful to unplug everything and plug it back in.

So I'm looking for a off the shelf extruder that I could just plop onto trident and use with my dragon hotend. Any suggestions or tips? I'm looking for a toolhead thats ugly and easy to maintain.

What's the issue?

I found SB to be well-designed for maintenance, even with stock wiring. I've swapped to the 2-piece PCB and it's even easier. I've had mine apart more times than I can count now.

The issue is inconsistent extrusion. It just stops extruding for a second multiple times during a print so there are these horizontal voids in the prints.

Hello, from toolheads I know about that are released, there is for example popular Xol from Armchair Engineering. https://github.com/Armchair-Engineering/Xol-Toolhead it should support Dragon too I believe. It may not fit VORON aesthetics, but is praised for its cooling capacity and being lighter.

Another option is Chirpy's Dragonburner toolhead. Originally for v0 and Antfarm printers, but it now has MGN12 mount as well. https://github.com/chirpy2605/voron

I think you should try and resolve your issue before changing extruders. Maybe upgrade the hotend cooling fan.

I have a couple versions of the XOL and its a great toolhead but it can be tricky to put together since its a lot of smaller parts then StealthBurner.

The issue is inconsistent extrusion. It just stops extruding for a second multiple times during a print so there are these horizontal voids in the prints.
Sounds like tuning issues, which can hit any extruder setup.
Three things come to mind there. First and easiest is a partial clog, so maybe give the nozzle a good cleaning. The other two is extruder motor voltage setting and filament tension knob adjustment. I had set my motor voltage too low at first and had issues with it stalling out; bumping voltage up resolved that.

Oh one other thing comes to mind--wet filament. I saw similar behavior with some wet TPU I struggled with. Drying the heck out of it helped a ton.

Easy things I'd verify :

- the gear set screw : on my side, it was a procrastinated threadlocker purchase (Loctite 222, as I didn't want to use the 272 I use for automotive)
- the motor connection : intermittent bad contact (the printer not being in the same room, no audible warning ; does funny things)

Already had these two issues... Also had clogs due to a crappy fan batch from Amazon. They lasted 20 hours at ambient temp, no more than 10 @ 55°C, became noisy and suddenly seized. Do not buy fans from vendors that blur the label on the pictures.

The Stealthburner is fantastic. Even on printers that are not Vorons.