What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Anybody tried a Beacon probe

Interesting. This is what I've planned to move to. I have the BTT SB0000 EBB2209. Is the cable USB-C?
I’m running The BTT SB2240 PCB with SPI to a U2C then to BTT board through usb c. How would the Beacon set up using the usb port on the tool head? Can I use both usb and spi? Not much documentation that I could find.

I have never used the inductive probe and went straight to Euclid then Klicky, and unklicky. I did not like the mounting system of these and now have tap,

Just curious - what made you go from Euclid to Klicky?
Most of the references I've come across have basically treated these two as peers / equivalents, the only real difference being philosophical - ie, whether you favor fully printed solutions over PCBs.

Just curious - what made you go from Euclid to Klicky?
Most of the references I've come across have basically treated these two as peers / equivalents, the only real difference being philosophical - ie, whether you favor fully printed solutions over PCBs.
I had two Euclids that both died within about two weeks. I don't know if it was something I did or the product itself but I didn't want to spend the money again.

Hello, just installed the Beacon probe, it's working fine, but I can't set up the Z-Tilt function, any idea? could you paste the config part of your Z-Tilt / gantry leveling.

Doe anyone have insight into exactly how this Beacon probe works? What is the physic behind it? From the videos, it appears to be a flat single larger coil. Something like a magnetic phone charager coil. I wonder if these cannot be built for about $6. JLCPCB will make PCBs of this size of under $1.

Ideally you would not mount the prob to the head, but rather, the sensor coil would be built-in to the head. I'd like to use off-the-shelf coils

The other improvment I'd like to try working on is dumpping the CAN Bus and replacing it with USB-C. "C" is dramatically faster and can carry over 100W of power for the hot end heater inside a standard USB-C cable. You can combine USB using a usb hub. So the ideal is to run a single USB-C cable with beacon-like probing and all other signals and 24 volt DC power straight beck to the Raspberry Pi host. It could all go over a single off the shelf cable.

I'm going to build a tool changer or IDEX next. So with up to four toolheads, reducing the wiring matters.

I'm also looking at a linear motor with closed-loop control for X-axis as it would dramatically simplify IDEX. No bets at all on the X-axis beam. The printer could use just one belt total, for Y.

The firat step is to understand the physics of this style probe.

The latest version uses USB. In fact I think even the older version did. The nice to have would be able to have some sort of hub or connection into a NiteHawk (which uses USB) so we can avoid having to add more cables. I have one but have honestly not installed it yet.