What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Bed prep for PLA and PETG

grafton1046

I've got my ABS printing dialed in, on both smooth and Textured PEI, but I've been wanting to print with more PLA and PETG and wanted to get a sanity check.
Is glue stick enough of a release agent for PETG on smooth PEI, and do I even need glue stick for textured PEI? Is there a different bed material I should be using to avoid tearing up print surfaces?

I have issues getting PLA to stick to the PEI sheets, sometimes I can occasionally get it to stick on the smooth side, but never to the textured side. Apart from the wash with soap and water and clean with ISO is there a prep setting I'm missing?

I also had a bit trouble with PLA (and a lot with PETG) on the textured sheet. It only work in a very small margin of z height.

Now I have a smooth pei and PLA just works ™, same z offset as ABS with textured sheet. Holds like a bomb. Some smooth pei need to be "worked in" or made a bit rough with the green side of a sponge.
1700742704598.png

PETG and smooth PEI should work, but be careful. Start of with lower bed temps like 70C, use a release agent like Window cleaner with amonia and DON'T SQUISH it. I personally dislike glue stick 🤮But if you don't mind cleaning it, you can use that too.
I printed PETG on my Prusa mk3 for years on smooth pei. Never had a problem. Did not even need a release agent. But there are definitely cases out there where people bonded the PEI to the PETG print.