What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Bondtech IDGA in the quest for better overhang quality?

mggevaer

Hi all, I'm looking into an issue I have on overhangs with my voron v2.4(stealth, CW2, Dragon HF, Prusa PETG). I'm printing at the same speeds as my Prusa MK3s, more cooling and getting similar results, so definitely good quality, but I'm trying to go the extra mile.

Specifically I'm trying to get rid of these small horizontal gaps between the lines (image of 30 degrees overhang) Any suggestions?

To me this looks like slight inconsistency in extrusion. That's why I've been thinking about something like the new Bondtech IDGA drive gear, but not sure it would explain/fix what I'm seeing here.

Attached image is of a 35 degree overhang.20230819_085909.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, I believe there are no attached pictures. Can you uploade those to see what you have in mind and if the issue you are facing is the one which (R)IDGA solves?

Hi all, I'm looking into an issue I have on overhangs with my voron v2.4(stealth, CW2, Dragon HF, Prusa PETG). I'm printing at the same speeds as my Prusa MK3s, more cooling and getting similar results, so definitely good quality, but I'm trying to go the extra mile.

Specifically I'm trying to get rid of these small horizontal gaps between the lines (image of 30 degrees overhang) Any suggestions?

To me this looks like slight inconsistency in extrusion. That's why I've been thinking about something like the new Bondtech IDGA drive gear, but not sure it would explain/fix what I'm seeing here.

Attached image is of a 35 degree overhang.View attachment 3029
I'm thinking the layer height is tall enough to push the center of the nozzle too far off the edge for the extruded material to get squashed into a flat shape... so any squashing just pushes the bulk of melted material off into space? Would any extruder with a round nozzle make a difference? Maybe reduce layer height or keep that as-is and go for a bigger nozzle size?

Interesting, I am seeing occasional bands of 2~4 layers looking good which makes me hopeful that it's possible to get this on every layer. I'll do some math to find out what kind of layer overlap I'm getting, and if it's enough to be squished by the nozzle.