What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Building a Stealthburner - which extruder to use?

gth44

Hello Guys,

I am building a new Toolhead - moving from Afterburner to Stealthburner.
Now I'll have to decide for a Extruder. Apart from CW2: Which are good alternatives for an extruder, if I want the rest of the Toolhead (Hotend-Mount, Stealthburner "Mask", ...) to be as stock as possible?

I found out, that it may be a pretty easy option to go for an LGX Lite - but maybe I should go for an Orbiter 2, Orbiter 1.5, wait for the Galileo 2?

At the moment I am favoring the LGX Lite (because this video showed me, that I can keep most things on the SB stock:
) - but maybe there are good mods for the Orbiter, too? Or I am missing any other really good extruders here?

What are your thoughts on that? Anything you can suggest?

I'm also planning to move to the SB. I believe that first release of TAP will only be compatible with CW2. I might be wrong about that, but I think I heard that in the 2 hour TAP video. I should re-watch it and take some notes.

I'm also planning to move to the SB. I believe that first release of TAP will only be compatible with CW2. I might be wrong about that, but I think I heard that in the 2 hour TAP video. I should re-watch it and take some notes.
It's not only CW2, it just needs to be mounted from the front, there is a CW1 mod to do that, Galileo, as well as LGX ...there have been users testing Tap with all of those extruders

Tap is not limited to cw2, however it does require the mounting screws to come from the front. Right now this is cw2/sb but any of the other extruders which have been updated to work with SB would also work with tap

It's not only CW2, it just needs to be mounted from the front, there is a CW1 mod to do that, Galileo, as well as LGX ...there have been users testing Tap with all of those extruders

I had no idea that there were mods for these... Any reason NOT to use CW1 with SB and Tap (aside from the aesthetics)?

I am now thinking of buying an LGX Lite (including a motor). Is there any point on waiting for a "Galileo v2" or using an Orbiter v2?
Are there any major differences, or is everyone of these a good working extruder?

Hello Guys,

I am building a new Toolhead - moving from Afterburner to Stealthburner.
Now I'll have to decide for a Extruder. Apart from CW2: Which are good alternatives for an extruder, if I want the rest of the Toolhead (Hotend-Mount, Stealthburner "Mask", ...) to be as stock as possible?

I found out, that it may be a pretty easy option to go for an LGX Lite - but maybe I should go for an Orbiter 2, Orbiter 1.5, wait for the Galileo 2?

At the moment I am favoring the LGX Lite (because this video showed me, that I can keep most things on the SB stock:
) - but maybe there are good mods for the Orbiter, too? Or I am missing any other really good extruders here?

What are your thoughts on that? Anything you can suggest?
If you decide to go with the lgx lite, keep in mind that it has a flow rate limit somewhere around 30-40mm3/s due to the gearing. I’m not sure what hotend you’re choosing, but if you decide to do something like a rapido uhf, I’d be careful. I’d consider the orbiter v2 or Sherpa mini. I’ve only heard good things about the orbiter, and run Sherpas myself.

My LGX has been faultless - to the point that I am struggling to decide between LGX Lite (direct drive) and putting an LGX (bowden) on my upcoming v0.1(2) build.

Can recommend LGX enough !

N

My experience with LGX lite in SB has been pretty suboptimal, to the point that I've decided to print the CW2 parts and replace it. LGX lite has been pretty unreliable: with some filaments it would simply come to a point where it would start grinding them and ruin my prints. Sometimes I had to use the 3rd position of the lever (supposedly for flexibles) for standard ABS and ASA filaments. Maybe my unit was defective, or I didn't mount it right. In any case, CW2 is a pretty capable extruder.

My LGX has been faultless - to the point that I am struggling to decide between LGX Lite (direct drive) and putting an LGX (bowden) on my upcoming v0.1(2) build.

Can recommend LGX enough !

N
Which stl files did you use? The version posted here doesn't support toolhead PCBs.

I going to drop in a vote for using the CW2 extruder. It’s REALLY good, and it doesn’t require any mods. If you ever plan on using flexy filament, it has a nice feature to fine tune the minimum gear spacing to ensure that you can get a strong grip without risk of binding the gears. This is also very nice for multi-material setups where the extruder may need to run without filament to prevent gear binding and premature wear. All of the current crop of extruders are pretty darned good, so there isn’t really a “wrong” answer. I just think the CW2 has a few things going for it that make it pretty attractive.