What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

EBB36/42 with bowden hotend

scharkalvin

I'm building an Enderwire conversion, and I'm going to use a Taichi hot end with a pair of M4 extruders. I'm thinking of using a toolhead board to cut down on the number of wires in the X cable chain.
One I'm wonder if I can fit either an EBB36 or 42 in the Stealthburner without having the clockwork2. Then I realized that the SKR mini MCU I'll be using only has 4 stepper drivers, so I'd need an extra one for the second M4. Maybe I could run 4 extra wires from the tool head back to the extruder along the bowden tube? In fact, I could also run the 4 tool head wires back along the other bowden tube, and then not need the XZ cable chain at all? I got these ideas from watching a youtube video by Kapman's Basement Workshop on the use of the EBB36 with his Voron 2.4.

Hi, yes, you absolutely can, that sounds like elegant solution. Where will those extruders be mounted?
Optionally you can also install 2 CAN boards, one on each motor, but that may be a bit overkill.
Since Klipper works with multiple MCUs, you can maybe add some motor expansion board - for example something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004389710531.html if you have free USB port and space under the deck.

Hi, yes, you absolutely can, that sounds like elegant solution. Where will those extruders be mounted?
Optionally you can also install 2 CAN boards, one on each motor, but that may be a bit overkill.
Since Klipper works with multiple MCUs, you can maybe add some motor expansion board - for example something like this https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004389710531.html if you have free USB port and space under the deck.
By using a CAN or USB toolhead board I would be killing two birds with one stone (MCU), I'd cut down on the wiring from the Stealthburner to the under board MCU, and get an extra stepper driver for the second M4. I had been thinking of breadboarding a small MCU with an Adafruit Itsybitsy 2040 and a TMC2209, but this way is more off the shelf. Also I see that BTT makes a Stealthburner specific board called the EBB2209 (two versions, one with a 2040 processor, and one with a standard ARM). So it looks like i've got a few options on the board. The BTT boards can also be run off of USB instead of CAN, and they even have a built in Accelerometer and chamber thermostat options. Only thing is, this will be my first attempt at doing anything with Klipper, so with all this it will be a bit like drinking from a fire hose as a learning experience!
I was going to mount the extruders either on the top (behind the drive belts), or on the sides. I have found an STL for a swing arm support for a Bowden support.