What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Evil noise on Trident

lenno

Printer Model
trident 350
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hi,
i've built a 350 trident from a formbot kit. Its completely assembled now but it is so loud I can't use it (its in the room next to my office). I expected it to be somewhat in the noise range of my other printer (Enclosed Ender 3 frame,linear rails with SKR2 and BTT 2209. The trident sits right next to the ender which I can't hear at all from the other room. There is heavy vibration on the toolhead at lower speeds, starting at about 25mm/s until 150mm/s. I ran some test prints, print quality is fine but needs some tuning. I get lots of VFA due too vibrations. When I touch the A/B motors while moving i can feel some vibrations but not very strong. The toolhead is vibrating much more, same for the belts. My assumption is A/B motor resonance in combination with enclusure resonance. Or maybe belt rubbing in a place I can't find

Use headphones or hifi for best immersion

printing a firstlayer at 30mm/s

things I already tried:
  • switch from spreadcyle to stealthchop (octopus v1.1, BTT 2209)
    • less vibration but horrible grinding noise at higher speeds, I've read that this is normal but my other printer goes up to 600mm/s stealthchop without issues on 2209
  • changing motors from formbot moons to new ldo
    • no change at all
  • checked belt paths for belt debris or any kind of rubbing
    • nothing found, everything moves freely without the motors
  • removed the lightweight cnc y extrusion from aliexpress
    • a little less vibrations in the y extrusion but same noise and toolhead vibration
  • reverted from TAP to inductive probe
    • better firstlayer,less wobbly toolhead, but maybe totally unrelated to the vibration problem, will investigate later
  • reverted to default panel clamps
    • a little less vibrations
  • put it on a 30kg block of stone and decoupled it from the desk
    • desk is not vibrating anymore, but still too loud through the door in the next room
  • increase and decrease of motor current
    • increase from .8A to 1A helped a bit, decrease to .6 made it worse, need to check motor temps on longer prints...
observations i made:
  • when moving the gantry slowly in Y direction by hand the toolhead is shaking a little in x direction (maybe normal, its my first coreXY)
  • inputshaper is around 50hz resonance, depending on belt tension
  • noise freuqencies measured with smartphone app are around 140hz to 180hz (very inaccurate)
  • side and top panels are resonating, if i put my hands on the side panels noise gets dampened
  • straight moves in y or x direction resonate most, diagonal moves a little less (except for stealthchop, there diagonal is noisiest)
  • VFAs distance is way less than 2mm maybe .1mm

Is coreXY generally more noisy on x/y movement than bed flingers?
Could this be a electronics problem?
Faulty drivers maybe?
(motor)cables running to close to each other? I had a similar problem on my cnc mill, resolved by using anti-interference capacitors, but in this case the movement was about movement not noise

Any Ideas appreciated

I know its a delay. I was having the sound in mostly X and Y direction as well. The gantry wasn't spaced, and the rear Y frame wasn't near the Rear support extrusion.

2 things I did

Get the spacing down on the rear 2 to the appropriate distance (110mm, I am at 110.08-10 on both sides), and changed the motor Current from .8 (ldo config) to .9 . I think they swaped the motors, the motors on my kit are 2 amp, and I upped them a bit.

I know its a delay. I was having the sound in mostly X and Y direction as well. The gantry wasn't spaced, and the rear Y frame wasn't near the Rear support extrusion.

2 things I did

Get the spacing down on the rear 2 to the appropriate distance (110mm, I am at 110.08-10 on both sides), and changed the motor Current from .8 (ldo config) to .9 . I think they swaped the motors, the motors on my kit are 2 amp, and I upped them a bit.
What do you mean the Gantry wasn’t spaced? I’m having the exact same issues with mine and have tried a few things already. Thought maybe I have bad linear rails. They are greased with white lithium after soaking and cleaning in alcohol. My next step was to reprint the gantry with the pin mod and get rid of the socket screw bearing holders. If you could explain the gantry spacing it would be much appreciated.

Have you checked your connectors? Just an idea.

I had similar problems with my first V0.0. After a lot of troubleshooting, my problem was fixed by redoing a bad crimp on the connector to the controller board. One connection was not fastened properly.

Last edited:
I can confirm that my Trident and Micron do not have resonances like you are experiencing, but have seen this happening on occasion. When my printers are in use, the loudest components are the fans.

When you take your panels off, does the hum drop significantly?