What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Fine tune z height first layer with TAP

PrinterMike

Hi there,

I have finished building my TAP upgrade on my 2.4. Got it working in my config files.

Now I am trying to fine tune the z height. I’ll do this by printing a first layer test print and watch how it prints. In my case it’s a bit to high, so I lower it with Z_ADJUST=-0.01 MOVE=1 , until I am satisfied and then I would run Z_OFFSET_APPLY_ENDSTOP followed by a SAVE_CONFIG. As described on the Voron website: Voron Fine Tuning Z Height

But now it gives me this error: Unknown command:"Z_OFFSET_APPLY_ENDSTOP" After I run Z_OFFSET_APPLY_ENDSTOP.
I guess by adding TAP and changing to the virtual endstop, this command does not work anymore.

So my question is, how would I perform this live fine tunning of the first layer during a print and save it to my config?

Regards,
Mike

When I calibrated z offset for my Tap, I used my KlipperScreen live z adjustments which effectively issued the Z_ADJUST commands. Once i was happy, I just clicked the save button in my Fluidd interface in the Tool panel. I assume that is issuing the SAVE_CONFIG command. It worked, I checked my printer.cfg and saw the [probe] z_offset value at the end update.

When I calibrated z offset for my Tap, I used my KlipperScreen live z adjustments which effectively issued the Z_ADJUST commands. Once i was happy, I just clicked the save button in my Fluidd interface in the Tool panel. I assume that is issuing the SAVE_CONFIG command. It worked, I checked my printer.cfg and saw the [probe] z_offset value at the end update.
I am running Octoprint which does not have a save button. Tried to save the setting just by issuing the save_config command (so skipping the Z_OFFSET_APPLY_ENDSTOP command), but this does not made any changes in my printer.cfg file

Run PROBE_CALIBRATE and use paper to get it close, hit save_config. Run a small print that fills the first layer and make sure its how you want it to look.
If you need to adjust it rum PROBE_CALIBRATE again.

Run PROBE_CALIBRATE and use paper to get it close, hit save_config. Run a small print that fills the first layer and make sure its how you want it to look.
If you need to adjust it rum PROBE_CALIBRATE again.
Thanks, that worked for me!

Glad it worked. Remember any time you remove the tool head you will need to re-run it.

Since you don't have an endstop anymore it should be Z_OFFSET_APPLY_PROBE after PROBE_CALIBRATE
I think you're confusing two separate processes. PROBE_CALIBRATE is it's own thing. it should be Z_OFFSET_APPLY_PROBE after any live tuning