What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

First layer

KingCrab

Printer Model
2.4r2 300mm
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hello,
I just build my Voron and I'm following Ellis Tuning Guide to setup everything for the first time. Unfortunately I can't get it to print a working first layer. I already calibrated my extruder a few times and tried a lot of z offsets beside the calibrate_z macro, but without any luck. My test print ( 100x100x0.3mm ) always has unconnected paths like shown in the picture. For me it looks like the bed mesh is somehow inverted, but when I uncomment the bed_mesh_calibrate command, it looks exactly the same. I have no clue how to investigate any further. Maybe someone has seen such an error or has an idea how to move on?

Thanks in advance

first_layer.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-02-18 155851.png
    Screenshot 2023-02-18 155851.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 11
  • config.ini
    13.9 KB · Views: 3
  • printer.txt
    19.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Make sure and do a Save_Config after you do the bed mesh.

Also try a different slicer, or different starting layer height and extrusion width.

I tried a few different settings today and it is possible to close the open spaces, but I think that does not solve the original problem as I still can see differences in height between bottom left to top right. Bottom left is perfectly smooth and top right is wavy and looks overextruded.

Make sure and do a Save_Config after you do the bed mesh.
Do I have to Save_Config with every print? I do a bed mesh before every print and as I understand the log message, save_config would preserve the result for later use and restart the firmware. That would interrupt my run, wouldn't it?

I tried a few different settings today and it is possible to close the open spaces, but I think that does not solve the original problem as I still can see differences in height between bottom left to top right. Bottom left is perfectly smooth and top right is wavy and looks overextruded.

Do I have to Save_Config with every print? I do a bed mesh before every print and as I understand the log message, save_config would preserve the result for later use and restart the firmware. That would interrupt my run, wouldn't it?

You are correct, if you are doing a mesh for each print you do not need to save it.

If your printer.cfg was created from a template for a recent klipper version there might be a BED_MESH_PROFILE LOAD command towards the end of the PRINT_START macro.
If there is, comment it out since it overrides the results from a BED_MESH_CALIBRATE made just before. Just a thought...

With klipper versions from 2023-02-01 and later the bed mesh must be loaded using the BED_MESH_PROFILE LOAD command.

From the klipper docs at https://www.klipper3d.org/Config_Changes.html
20230201: The [bed_mesh] module no longer loads the default profile on startup. It is recommended that users who use the default profile add BED_MESH_PROFILE LOAD=default to their START_PRINT macro (or to their slicer's "Start G-Code" configuration when applicable).

Unfortunately I don't have BED_MESH_PROFILE LOAD in my printer.cfg.

But you point me to another problem. I stupid forgot to attach the printer.cfg.

Thanks for pointing me to the change and indirectly to the missing file :)