What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Foam Tape for Panels

Optix1974

Printer Model
Voron 2.4r2
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Nearing hardware completion on my self sourced build. BOM is vague on panel foam tape. Is it the compressed thickness that’s specified? Most of the weatherproofing tape I’ve looked at it quite a bit thicker but may compress down to the required thickness. It also doesn’t help that here in the U.S. it’s all specified in fractional imperial units.

Thanks, was hoping to avoid buying online due to the shipping costs to my location often making it not worth it. Just looked and in this case they will ship USPS first class which is affordable. Not going to pay the $76 shipping for the $40 panels though, so I guess I’ll be cutting those myself.

Interesting, but Tap wants $68.24 before shipping. I probably would have done it if I still lived in NorCal, because I could just do a Will Call pickup and it would be worth the extra $20-$30 to not have to set up the saw. West3D is only $40 (but their shipping to Hawaii is too high). Not sure how much the shipping from Tap would be, but probably still not economical outside of CONUS. I was able to source some 1/8" panels at the local hardware store for about $50, but I'm going to have to cut them up on the table saw, which is kind of a pain.

It's unfortunate I didn't realize that West3D carried these since I sourced about 50% of my parts from them in one large flat-rate shipping order (they don't offer the free shipping over $150 deal to Hawaii, but do offer a flat-rate which was considerably less than the shipping cost for just these panels). Yeah, I'm kicking myself now that I didn't include them. At least I did get the bed from them in that deal, I feel a little bad because they probably lost money on the shipping of that heavy sucker.

I see, yeah, shipping for you will be expensive. One thing I will say about the panels, if you can increase the thickness, do it. I HATED the stock ones at 3mm or whatever they are and ended up getting 6mm from TAP. Those are a little too think and I think 4 or 5mm would have been a little better it was still a big improvement. The stock ones are flimsy and you can hear everything through them. With thicker they are much more ridged, and noise it dampened a lot. I think they are more clear as well but that might be because they are newer.
Just my 2 cents.

@Optix1974 Are you aware of the snap latches for the side panels of the Voron? They are much, much better than the stock bolt-on retainers, and they can be downloaded in numerous sizes to account for different panel thicknesses.

@Optix1974 Are you aware of the snap latches for the side panels of the Voron? They are much, much better than the stock bolt-on retainers, and they can be downloaded in numerous sizes to account for different panel thicknesses.
Agreed! One of the best mods for sure.