What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Help needed with "Extrude below minimum temp" on first print with Tap.

pdb6251

I just finished building and fired up my second V2.4 (but my first one with Tap). All preliminary testing went well, tap working, and so I tried to print the voron cube for the first test print. After initial homing, probing and QGL, etc, at 150c the print then fails because the print head is still at 150c instead of 245c (my desired print temperature). It seems the print temperature is not being passed through and restored after the 150c phase. I assume that should happen. Any suggestions what I am missing?

As a side note I found the adaptive bed mesh is not working but I have not explored that. I am using the same setup as my other V2.4 and the adaptive bed mesh and adaptive purge work well there. I mention this in case it somehow relates to the above issue.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

P.S. Regardless I am super excited to have the second V2.4 running with Tap!!!

I don't have my config in front of me but you would need a variable setup in your config and slicer to say, after you run this macros then increase temp to XXX

I don't have my config in front of me but you would need a variable setup in your config and slicer to say, after you run this macros then increase temp to XXX
OK, thank you. I wlll play around with that. Much appreciated!

I set my nozzle temp at the end of my print start. Honestly, it doesn't even look like the tap script sets my nozzle to 150, but I don't worry, because I already set it to 140:

Code:
[gcode_macro PRINT_START]
#   Use PRINT_START for the slicer starting script - please customise for your slicer of choice
gcode:
    # Parameters
    {% set bedtemp = params.BED|int %}
    {% set hotendtemp = params.HOTEND|int %}
    {% set chambertemp = params.CHAMBER|default(0)|int %}

STATUS_HEATING
    M109 S140
    STATUS_HEATING
    M190 S{bedtemp}                                                                      ; wait for bed temp
    {% if bedtemp > 95 %}     
        nvmOn                                                         
        TEMPERATURE_WAIT SENSOR="temperature_sensor chamber" MINIMUM={chambertemp}       ; wait for chamber temp
    {% endif %}

#M109 S{hotendtemp}   <- willl need to build a scrubber for this                                                                ; wait for hotend temp
    STATUS_HOMING
    G28
    G1 Z+10 F600
    clean_nozzle
    G32                                                                                  ; home all axes
    STATUS_MESHING
    #BED_MESH_CALIBRATE
    {% set FL_SIZE = params.SIZE|default("0_0_0_0")|string %}
    COMPUTE_MESH_PARAMETERS SIZE={FL_SIZE}
    ADAPTIVE_BED_MESH
    G1 X175 Y175 Z10 F3000                                                               
    #G28 Z                                                                           ; move nozzle away from bed
    STATUS_CLEANING
    clean_nozzle
    # STATUS_CALIBRATING_Z
    # CALIBRATE_Z
    STATUS_HEATING
    M109 S{hotendtemp}
    STATUS_CLEANING
    clean_nozzle

If you look at the Tap activate_gcode script, what it's doing is checking the nozzle temp. If it the target or current temp is higher than the specified max (default from the code is 150), it drops the temp to the max before allowing probing. If you're already within the limit, it does nothing. This is just a safety check so you don't go burning holes in your PEI sticker.

If you look at the Tap activate_gcode script, what it's doing is checking the nozzle temp. If it the target or current temp is higher than the specified max (default from the code is 150), it drops the temp to the max before allowing probing. If you're already within the limit, it does nothing. This is just a safety check so you don't go burning holes in your PEI sticker.
Thank you. Yes, I understood that part but I thought it should/would restore the original print temperature afterwards so that the print could continue. I realize now it does not and I have to implement that myself. ...I am doing lots of learning. But the great news is, the new V2.4 with Tap is printing uber well!

I set my nozzle temp at the end of my print start. Honestly, it doesn't even look like the tap script sets my nozzle to 150, but I don't worry, because I already set it to 140:

Code:
[gcode_macro PRINT_START]
#   Use PRINT_START for the slicer starting script - please customise for your slicer of choice
gcode:
    # Parameters
    {% set bedtemp = params.BED|int %}
    {% set hotendtemp = params.HOTEND|int %}
    {% set chambertemp = params.CHAMBER|default(0)|int %}

STATUS_HEATING
    M109 S140
    STATUS_HEATING
    M190 S{bedtemp}                                                                      ; wait for bed temp
    {% if bedtemp > 95 %}    
        nvmOn                                                        
        TEMPERATURE_WAIT SENSOR="temperature_sensor chamber" MINIMUM={chambertemp}       ; wait for chamber temp
    {% endif %}

#M109 S{hotendtemp}   <- willl need to build a scrubber for this                                                                ; wait for hotend temp
    STATUS_HOMING
    G28
    G1 Z+10 F600
    clean_nozzle
    G32                                                                                  ; home all axes
    STATUS_MESHING
    #BED_MESH_CALIBRATE
    {% set FL_SIZE = params.SIZE|default("0_0_0_0")|string %}
    COMPUTE_MESH_PARAMETERS SIZE={FL_SIZE}
    ADAPTIVE_BED_MESH
    G1 X175 Y175 Z10 F3000                                                              
    #G28 Z                                                                           ; move nozzle away from bed
    STATUS_CLEANING
    clean_nozzle
    # STATUS_CALIBRATING_Z
    # CALIBRATE_Z
    STATUS_HEATING
    M109 S{hotendtemp}
    STATUS_CLEANING
    clean_nozzle
Sorry, I replied yesterday to say thank you but realize now I did not reply to your post so you may not have received it... so thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to pass this along to me. Super helpful.

Sorry, I replied yesterday to say thank you but realize now I did not reply to your post so you may not have received it... so thank you. I really appreciate you taking the time to pass this along to me. Super helpful.
No problem! Here to help when I'm not being helped :)
How's it looking?

No problem! Here to help when I'm not being helped :)
How's it looking?
It is looking fantastic. I am only printing with eSum ABS+ at the moment and it is printing beautifully. I am rushing to print the parts to build the Stealthburner and Tap for my other V2.4. And, they are printing possibly as well as I have ever printed anything. I guess everyone in the 3d printing community knows the euphoric feeling of a perfect print and I am for sure enjoying that at the moment. Sometimes I feel like the frustration of the elusive perfect z-offset with the original Afternurner and Omron probe was a painful learning process. Tap is a game changer (for me at least)! Thank you again.

Yeah, I love the TAP.
very satisfying to watch it calibrate quickly. I needed a spare roller thing that rolls on the rails, I had to learn a thing or two about handling it. (I’m probably going to tie the tool head down to keep it on the rail the next time I turn the printer over).
Anyway, congrats!!

Yeah, I love the TAP.
very satisfying to watch it calibrate quickly. I needed a spare roller thing that rolls on the rails, I had to learn a thing or two about handling it. (I’m probably going to tie the tool head down to keep it on the rail the next time I turn the printer over).
Anyway, congrats!!
Haha, things we can all relate to…. I learned never turn it over. Only turn it on it side. I mean I learned the hard way…. A couple times. i am a slow stubborn learner. Haha.

Thank you. Yes, I understood that part but I thought it should/would restore the original print temperature afterwards so that the print could continue. I realize now it does not and I have to implement that myself. ...I am doing lots of learning. But the great news is, the new V2.4 with Tap is printing uber well!
This is where i am stuck also how do i tell the printer to go back to printing temperature after all?

If you are saving the nozzle temp from Cura (or whatever you use) then just add...
M109 S{EXTRUDER_TEMP}

To restore the original nozzle temperature after your QGL.

But if you are not saving your extruder temperature from Cura then let me know and I will explain that. That was my big hangup.