What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Hotends

Delta8

Good afternoon All,
First post, just found the 3D printing world about a year ago. Love this site, I have been tossing around the idea of building my next printer (boy, this site is a diamond of a find). I have been looking at Hotends, and I'm currently a bit overwhelmed. Can someone point me in a direction for some info and what hotend does what. I have a feeling that selecting a hotend is like selecting a milling tool, there are specific tools for specific applications. I'm printing more useable items fixturing, tools type items, printer parts, and items like that. So most material is more along the line of ABS, PETG, PCCF, and so on.
Thanks

Last edited:
The main hotends that are typically used in Voron printers are the Revo Voron, Rapido, and Dragon, although the Dragon can be difficult to acquire if you live in the United States due to patents. There are other hotends that are compatible, those are the most commonly used ones. Revo offers up the benefit of fairly easy and pain free nozzle changes, Rapido can melt a good amount of plastic, and dragon's a nice solid choice as well. Great thing is, provided you aren't printing any abrasive filaments, all three are viable choices.

What kind of goals do you have with your printer? Are you looking to print as fast as possible (or even just fast in general), print larger layer lines, etc?

Welcome to the Voron Forum!

The main hotends that are typically used in Voron printers are the Revo Voron, Rapido, and Dragon, although the Dragon can be difficult to acquire if you live in the United States due to patents. There are other hotends that are compatible, those are the most commonly used ones. Revo offers up the benefit of fairly easy and pain free nozzle changes, Rapido can melt a good amount of plastic, and dragon's a nice solid choice as well. Great thing is, provided you aren't printing any abrasive filaments, all three are viable choices.

What kind of goals do you have with your printer? Are you looking to print as fast as possible (or even just fast in general), print larger layer lines, etc?

Welcome to the Voron Forum!
Fast isn't my goal, dimensionally on target and quality prints are my main goals, if speed happens I'm fine with that. I'm was very interested in the Revo but was looking at the Dragon due to the higher temp.
Thanks for the welcome

Fast isn't my goal, dimensionally on target and quality prints are my main goals, if speed happens I'm fine with that. I'm was very interested in the Revo but was looking at the Dragon due to the higher temp.
Thanks for the welcome
Great news! If higher temps are needed, there's the Revo HTX that's recently come out, which works with the Revo Voron (you're just changing the heater/thermistor part)

Revo does abrasives now as well with Obxidian nozzles. It also has a sort-of high flow option now with the new nozzles in collaboration with CHT. I hadn't heard of the HTX ones--E3D is expanding the options pretty quickly.

The three common hotends @WhiteWulfe mentioned all heat up to 300C I believe, which is plenty for most common materials (and fine for what the OP mentions).

Once nice thing with the Stealthburner is that it's pretty modular. Swapping hotends given carefully managed wiring connectivity should be pretty easy.

Thanks All,
My plan is to update the hotend on my Ender to a Stealthburner then start building all my part for my Voron. I haven't decided on the Trident or the V2.4, but I am running Klipper & Mainsail. I may end up machining some of the parts out of aluminum, just because I can (machinist by trade). I know I'm going for a larger build area. Is there a reason 350 is the largest build area? I know I could go with the larger extrusion to keep the rigidity. Does it have something to do with pellet feed or wire feed, I haven't found any good info on that but I will keep digging.
Thanks again for the

Thanks All,
My plan is to update the hotend on my Ender to a Stealthburner then start building all my part for my Voron. I haven't decided on the Trident or the V2.4, but I am running Klipper & Mainsail. I may end up machining some of the parts out of aluminum, just because I can (machinist by trade). I know I'm going for a larger build area. Is there a reason 350 is the largest build area? I know I could go with the larger extrusion to keep the rigidity. Does it have something to do with pellet feed or wire feed, I haven't found any good info on that but I will keep digging.
Thanks again for the
This is getting off the topic of hotends, but the reason 350 is the max recommended size is two-fold (it has nothing to do with pellet feed): 1) Belt length. For every 50mm increase in X or Y dimension, both belts get 100mm longer. To go from 350 -> 500 means the belts have gotten 600mm longer. That's a lot because the longer the belts the harder the machine is to tune. 2) Everything is designed for 2020 extrusion and much beyond the 350 size the extrusions start to get long enough to be floppy. Sure the extrusions can be up-sized to use 3030 or whatever but that requires redesigning pretty much every part. Personally, if you want to do 500 or something of that size, do a RatRig.

This is getting off the topic of hotends, but the reason 350 is the max recommended size is two-fold (it has nothing to do with pellet feed): 1) Belt length. For every 50mm increase in X or Y dimension, both belts get 100mm longer. To go from 350 -> 500 means the belts have gotten 600mm longer. That's a lot because the longer the belts the harder the machine is to tune. 2) Everything is designed for 2020 extrusion and much beyond the 350 size the extrusions start to get long enough to be floppy. Sure the extrusions can be up-sized to use 3030 or whatever but that requires redesigning pretty much every part. Personally, if you want to do 500 or something of that size, do a RatRig.
That makes sense, thank you.

Didn't see it mentioned but wanted to say that if you think this site is a great find, wait till you see the Discord server..