What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Inconsistant results using the same brand of filament

Rusty105

OK, I just finished building my Switchwire and started printing Voron cubes to test it out. I initially had some extruded config issues and those are now worked out. It was mostly gear_ratio and rotation_distance settings, but I was still getting what I would consider inconstant extruding, pictures attached.

The grey cube is Polylite PLA and the greenish cube is also Polylite PLA. I used the same gcode for both cubes. The grey filament prints great on my MK3S.

Any ideas as to what is the issue?

Thanks!

Voron-cubes.png

Just because it's the same brand filament does not mean its the same. I think we need more information to troubleshoot the issue.

So just to confirm, all filaments are under extruding on the printer?
You have the correct motor current set?
Driver config is correct?
Gear ratio is correct?
Extruder is not skipping?
No clogs in the nozzle?
Filament path to the extruder is smooth?

Just because it's the same brand filament does not mean its the same. I think we need more information to troubleshoot the issue.

So just to confirm, all filaments are under extruding on the printer?
You have the correct motor current set?
Driver config is correct?
Gear ratio is correct?
Extruder is not skipping?
No clogs in the nozzle?
Filament path to the extruder is smooth?
In order of asked.

1) Due to time this weekend, I have only tried these two. Polymaker Polylite PLA in Grey, and Polymaker Polyterra PLA in Rainbow Pastel. Both show under extrusion, but the Grey is far worse, as seen in the picture. I will try some others tonight. I print both of these with the same profile on my MK3S, and can't tell the difference. I could see if it was a slight variation, but the difference is wildly different.

2) Honestly, I don't know. Not even sure how to calculate what is the correct current.(Still learning) From memory, the extruder stepper is 1.0A per phase. The TMC2209 driver was initially set to 0.3 A, and the extruder wouldn't even move. I upped it to 0.8A, I think. I am not at home with the printer, but it was definitely less then 1.0A. As a note, all my TMC2209 drivers are set less than the motor's rating, not sure if that is correct. For information, the Stealthburner is equipped with a NItehawk-SB, and it uses a TMC2209 driver.

3) I believe so. When I do a 'rotational_distance' calibration 100mm requested produces darn near 100mm of filament being pulled into the extruder. +/-1mm , and that is likely a measuring error

4) Stealthburner, Clockwork 2, 50:10

5) Not sure, I don't hear any noise coming from it.

6) I do not believe so. I can disengage the extruder and manually push filament through the hotend and the filament comes out clean and straight.

7) Spool is mounted directly above the extruder, mounted on the frame, no bowden tube, feed right into extruder.

Thanks!

One more thing I can think of, Can you measure the filament? I saw someone get a roll of filament from Bambu Labs the other day and it was 1.45mm instead of 1.75 like it should have been.
Polymaker has great stuff but mistakes can still happen.

One more thing I can think of, Can you measure the filament? I saw someone get a roll of filament from Bambu Labs the other day and it was 1.45mm instead of 1.75 like it should have been.
Polymaker has great stuff but mistakes can still happen.
Been measuring for years.... Filament is 1.73 +/-.02

So , some updates. I changed to a brand new roll of green Polylite PLA, and the issue still existed. So I watched the speed and flow numbers on the Mainsail dashboard as it printed. Flow topped out at 8mm^3/s , it was capped at 8 in the slicer, however speeds were hitting 120mm/s to 160mm/s. I didn't think much of it, but when looking at the label on the filament spool, looking for a max flow number, I found a speed number. The speed number was 30-40mm/s. Much slower then what I was printing at. So I resliced the cube with slower speeds, and outer walls at 30mm/s, and most of the issues went away. For some reason i wasn't using the Switchwire printing profiles in Orca Slicer. This is what I get for trying to learn a new slicer and Klipper at the same time.....

I think the reason this printing issue doesn't show up on my Prusa MK3S is that it prints much slower. I print more cubes tonight, using the Switchwire profiles, and see how they come out. Then on to more tuning.

Rusty