What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Is the Btt Skr 3 suitable for Voron Trident

MikeJorvey

Printer Model
Voron Trident
I'm planning to build a Voron Trident but I'm a bit confused does the BTT SKR 3 is suitable for the Trident . It says It only have 2 independent Z driver and 2 independent E driver , can turn spare Z driver into a independent Z driver for the third z driver ?

If not , can I have some controller board recommendations ?

I'm not sure how the drivers are wires. You need three independent Z motors. The recommended controller for Trident is the Octopus or similar.

With Klipper, you will need a Pi to run on. This provides the interface with the printer and sends the actual device commands to the controller board.

You can use BTT SKR 3 for Voron Trident but you need one additional driver
as the SKR 3 can control up to 5 motors.
My Voron trident 250 works with BTT SKR 3 with one additional driver module installed.
The three Z axes must be controlled by 3 independent drivers.
The main processor is a Raspberry pi4 on which Clipper runs.
My printer works perfectly with Raspberry pi3

I'm planning to build a Voron Trident but I'm a bit confused does the BTT SKR 3 is suitable for the Trident . It says It only have 2 independent Z driver and 2 independent E driver , can turn spare Z driver into a independent Z driver for the third z driver ?

If not , can I have some controller board recommendations ?
Its usable but not the standard configuration. like others have said SKR 3 is meant for 5 drivers, the Trident needs 6 but you can get away with it by running a Can or Nitehawk toolhead which has a driver built in for the extruder. they basically function like their own mini MCU, SKR 3 would handle all the XYZ movement and the toolhead would run the extruder.

Regarding the main processor, every time you run Klipper most if not all computations are done by the Raspberry pi or whatever equivalent you end up using (Orange pi, CM1, BTT pi)

If it was my setup i would go with Leviathan for 99$ which comes with the drivers already and uses 2 5160's for the AB (XY axis) Motors in case you want to really push the speed. this has capabilities to control up to 7 motors and has a slot to install the Pi into for a cleaner setup.

the most common config right now is the octopus but i think that will start changing soon. let me know if you have any other questions.