What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Klicky probe

Maybe it already exists or is in progress elsewhere but it would be nice to see a ‘tips for success in the build and installation’, ‘maintenance’, and ‘what can go wrong or common failure modes’.

That's not a bad idea, part of that is scattered on the github and various guides, i'll try to group that.

The Klicky NG absolutely does need glue, unfortunately.

I've built about six so far. Three failed on me. The two parts holding the microswitch in place start to drift apart after about 100ish print hours. The self-tapping screws just don't cut it

I ended up making some new NG probes and using Loctite Super Glue Gel and so far it hasn't failed for me in 200ish hours.

UNKlicky is absolutely the move. The accuracy with the magnet vs the switch is crazy. I was going to do an Unklicky z-endstop, but they announced TAP right before I started!

Can Klicky get it's own sub-forum? Having a single thread for ALL klicky questions is not much different than just using Discord. There will be so many parallel conversations that it will be difficult to keep track. I think that Klicky is big and common enough to where it deserves it's own sub-forum.

Hello everyone, I just printed klicky-ng for a 2.4 (v1), but reading here...mmmhhhh....I'm in doubt which version using.

The Klicky NG absolutely does need glue, unfortunately.

I've built about six so far. Three failed on me. The two parts holding the microswitch in place start to drift apart after about 100ish print hours. The self-tapping screws just don't cut it

I ended up making some new NG probes and using Loctite Super Glue Gel and so far it hasn't failed for me in 200ish hours.

The screws loosening sounds like stresses in the print, which I can honestly say haven't occured on my beta NG which did about 800ish hours combined at close to 70C including 36 hours of continuous probe calibrate dock undock cycles during the testing phase. It would probably still be in the printer if I wasn't already running TAP. (Well the microswitch would probably have died by now to be fair :p)

Tried to improve that, the latest KlickyNG microswitch version has extra plastic to increase the screw strength.

1669204836245.png

I looked at the CAD for Klicky. Didn't trust it. That's why I designed my own that uses OTS hardware, solder connections, and screws. No glue. I use it on my Trident. Works great. Maybe I'll release it if there's any interest.

Showing you guys the CAD because the prototype I have in my printer is beat to hell from testing, crashing it, burning it with the hotend, sometimes intentionally...sometimes not, but it works.

MyKlicky1.PNGMyKlicky2.PNGMyKlicky3.PNG

I looked at the CAD for Klicky. Didn't trust it. That's why I designed my own that uses OTS hardware, solder connections, and screws. No glue. I use it on my Trident. Works great. Maybe I'll release it if there's any interest.

Showing you guys the CAD because the prototype I have in my printer is beat to hell from testing, crashing it, burning it with the hotend, sometimes intentionally...sometimes not, but it works.

View attachment 510View attachment 511View attachment 512
You can kind of see it in the background here.

View attachment 510View attachment 511View attachment 512
I really like your design. Can you share the files please?

I'm having problems successfully configuring a klicky probe installed on a Trident.
From the Klicky Github page:

1682618029472.png

But if I set 'variable_enable_z_hop' to False, as the documentation suggests .... when homing Z it *RAISES* the bed the specified safe distance (into the nozzle!) rather than dropping the bed the safe distance away from the nozzle. What am I missing? When I set this parameter to True it behaves as I would expect. Is the documentation in error? Or am I missing something? As I have other issues with my setup that may be related. Many thanks for any help or suggestions.

Hello there,

I have succesfully configured the variables for my klicky, But it is very unreliable, i get lots of Probe samples exceed samples_tolerance with the stock settings. If this is during a QGL for instance, it just stops, leaving the probe on a hot bed. How can i fix that?

UPDATE 07-06-2023 I think i fixed it by fidling with the dock position some more. I had the dock at X0 and i think that gave me some issues with a clean ATTACH_PROBE command. Klicky seems to work a bit better now. For future reference for anyone looking into this issue, check you docking and attaching, it should be a clean move, without to much sounds. You should only hear the magnets click, any contact between the dock and the toolhead arm will trow off your results.

Last edited: