What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

need help interpreting nema 17 notation

sanketss84

Hello,

For the voron trident 300 build the configurator suggested these motors but I am able to find them locally

Can someone help me interpret the nema 17 motors for me, so I can at least pick something close to the required spec.
  • NEMA17 TR8x8 300mm Linear Stepper
  • NEMA17 Motor 17HS19-2004S
  • NEMA17 Motor 17HS08-1004S
what does 17HS19-2004S and 17HS08-1004S mean ?

Regarding Z-axis motors, this seems like the only leadscrew motor that I could find locally.
However I need help, can someone knowledgeable in nema 17 motors check the data sheet and tell me if this would work as Z-axis motors for Trident 300 build
https://novo3d.in/nema-17-stepper-motor/?swcfpc=1 also the lead screw length is 310mm vs required 300mm

attaching LDO and stepper online motors for reference.

LDO Trident 300 kit seems to be using this

this is was the one I found on stepper online which was 300 mm leadscrew

For Voron Trident AB motors the configurator suggests

NEMA17 Motor 17HS19-2004S
in which I found two variants S1 and S2 on steperonline

LDO Kit uses
LDO-42STH48-2004MAH(VRN)

and I have a local option of
Nema 17 Stepper Motor (42CM06) - Leadshine

datasheet https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZYB--n2jkllkwKzu9xZOFc1S586YdXY8/view

Question:
1. Can I use the local 42CM06 instead of recommended 17HS19-2004S as my AB motors on Voron Trident 300 build
2. Why does LDO kit use 0.9 step size motor for AB instead of configurator recommended 1.8 is it because its much finer step size ?

can someone help me answer this please as I am stuck on buying my motors.

Hello,

For the voron trident 300 build the configurator suggested these motors but I am able to find them locally

Can someone help me interpret the nema 17 motors for me, so I can at least pick something close to the required spec.
  • NEMA17 TR8x8 300mm Linear Stepper
  • NEMA17 Motor 17HS19-2004S
  • NEMA17 Motor 17HS08-1004S
what does 17HS19-2004S and 17HS08-1004S mean ?
17HS19-2004S is a part number and is not generally transferable between manufacturers. The NEMA standard is just "17" and defines the dimension of the face of the motor and says nothing about performance. of the length of the motor, just where the bolt holes are.

I've been looking at the motors supplies with different kits and the specs are similar but not the same. Basically for the 2004 motor, you want a NEMA-17 that is rated for about 2 amps and the other is a one amp motor and then there is a maximum length. You are OK as long as it physically fits.

The part numbers work on the Stepper Online website. They have very detailed specs. Look them up and then buy anything that is "close". You can click the blue part number and get more details and then from there even more detail. They are a good and well-known brand. I don't know where you are but they ship from warehouses all over the world.

2. Why does LDO kit use 0.9 step size motor for AB instead of configurator recommended 1.8 is it because its much finer step size ?

If you half-step a 1.9 degree motor you get the same effect as full-stepping a 0.8 degree motor. and we know all the drivers will micro-step to much less them half steps

Assume a 20 tooth pully and 2 mm belt pitch. This means the belt moves 40mm per motor revolution. So 400 steps per rev means 0.1mm per step. Smaller microsteps mean even less per step. So either step size combined with the driver's microstepping can get move then enough resolution.

That said, full steps move in exactly the specified number of degrees because the full step size is determined by the mechanical design of the motor. But half steps and 1/16th steps are not 100% perfect and depend on the driver getting the voltage ratios exactly right and the motor having exactly the same number of turns on each coil. But 3D printing is not exact and we should not worry about that last 0.001 mm. But resolution is the not the only thing to care about, Torque and speed matter too.

ChrisA than you for taking the time to share your thoughts. I do understand things a bit better now. Will try to check spec details on stepperonline webiste and try to find local alternatives with similar spec. also the explanation on full step and micro step was clear I had a minor idea but things are clear now. yes I will also look into the torque and speed description as well.

I also read that lower the resistance the better but need to understand how inductance works and what part it plays.

Last edited: