What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Neopixel Sequins and Rainbow on a Matchstick wiring

Vorkosigan

I'm in the middle of my V0 rebuild and upgrade and have a couple of questions on the wiring that I have searched for answers and not found much information at all.

I have some neopixel sequins for the mini stealthburner and I am using the ebb36 can board. I am assuming the I can use the RGB port for the neopixels, but I am not sure what the wiring should look like exactly when connecting the 2 neopixels together. If I both neopixels are going to be set the same, can I just split off all 3 wires from the ebb36 rgb connector to go to both neopixels, or do I need to have them run in serial (or at least the signal wire run in serial)?

On a related topic, what is a good way to wire the pair of Rainbow on a Matchstick? My mainboard is a SKR Mini E3 V2. It looks like there is one neopixel port on the board and I have the 2 Rainbow on a Matchstick plus the neopixel in the LDO kirigami. I am not sure how to wire those up at all at the moment. I think what I have seen other people use is an umbilical board? But I'm not using an umbilical.

Help would be appreciated.

For my second question, would it be as easy as using the x and y endstops for signal and ground (going sensorless homing so those would no longer be needed) for the matchsticks and the neopixel pins for the kirigami neopixel and then share the 5V neopixel between all 3?

Decided to switch to plain white led sequins for the nozzle lights. Didn't really need to the RGB there anyways and that should simplify wiring. These are the Adafruit sequins and I believe 5v. Can I still use the RGB port on the ebb36 for them? (Only need 5v and dc ground, but still need the ability to turn them on and off.)

In going through my configuration for sensorless homing and getting that setup, apparently even though the physical endstops are no longer used, the pins still are? I do not understand that, but I guess that means I can't use the X and Y endstop pins. I am still wondering if it will work like I asked previously as far as sharing 5v (and now ground) and then just finding a couple of other pins elsewhere on the board that I can use for signal? If so, any suggestions on pins to use?

I am just about done with my rebuild and these are the last little bits of wiring that I need to figure out.

I'm gonna answer my own question a little bit here. If any info is wrong, feel free to correct me.

I ended up switching to some white leds from adafruit for the nozzle lights. RGB isn't really necessary there for me. (Actually, I only got the RGB sequins because I didn't know about the plain white led sequins to begin with.)

The white sequins just require positive and negative, so just 2 wires from each sequin. I used 30gauge wire because those are some tiny pathways to send wire through. Since I was not using RGBs, I went ahead and used the RGB pins on the ebb36, but just the ground and signal pins. I just wired the positive to positive and negative to negative from both sequins. The signal pin provides enough power for the leds. Once added to the klipper config, they worked just fine.

Code:
[output_pin nozzle_lights]
pin: EBBCan:PD3
pwm:false
shutdown_value: 0
value:0

The RGB sequins can use 4 wires, but they only need for if you are wiring them in series. That would be messy and that was what was tripping me up trying to figure out how to wire them up. Instead, what someone could do would be to just run 3 wires to each rgb sequin. Positive, negative, and signal. Then then do like I did with the white sequin leds. Wire positive to positive, negative to negative, and signal to signal. You can't control the 2 sequins individually this way, but they should work as one. 3 30 gauge wires should be able to fit the wire channels in the mini stealthburner toolhead as well.

I did something very similar to wire up the rainbow on a matchstick. I just wired up both sides together and just needed 5v, ground and a signal pin. Since I am not using a probe, I decided to use those pins. It looks like there are 2 pins that I could use for signal on probe, so if I wanted to have each side able to act independently, I could maybe use that 2nd pin. But for now, this works for me.

Code:
[neopixel chamber_rgb]
pin: PA1
chain_count: 10
color_order: GRB
initial_RED: 1.0
initial_GREEN: 1.0
initial_BLUE: 1.0