What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved Octopus v1.1 configure 5v out on pin PD14

MrMitnick

Printer Model
Voron 2.4.r2 Rev.C LDO kit
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hello everyone,

I am trying to hook up a PAM8403 audio amplifier to my Voron 2.4 with an Octopus v1.1 board. I have placed a jumper on PD14 to have it output 5V. When measuring the voltage i get no reading, so i figured the pin is software controlled and i need to configure something in my klipper.cfg. However i am unsure how i should configure that pin. Perhaps someone can help me out, or point me in a direction where i can find more info on how you can configure those pins?

This is what i have in my config now, but that obviously does not work as the amp is not PWM controlled, and currently i do not get a 5V reading of those pins.

[output_pin amplifier]
## PAM8403 - amplifier for audio
pin: PD14
pwm:true
shutdown_value: 0
value:0
cycle_time: 0.01

I have changed it to this and this seems to work. But maybe someone has a better way of doing this.

#####################################################################
# Power Control Pins #PINO
#####################################################################

[output_pin amplifier]
## PAM8403 - amplifier for audio
pin: PD14
#pwm:true
shutdown_value: 0
value:1
#cycle_time: 0.01

If it works it works. My question is what are you doing with the Amp? Sounds interesting.
Sadly its not great at the moment, the speakers are giving a constant hum, they did not do that when using a buck converter. I just dont like the idea of mounting a buck converter to the underside.

When i was configuring load/unload macros i noticed some of them used M300 Beep. This got me thinking about adding some speakers to the printer. i had some old laptop speakers laying around and i bought a small PAM8403 amp of amazon. You can use text to speech to have the printer callout operations, or upload some .wav files such as a beep and alarm sounds.

You can see an example of my setup with the buck converter here -> https://streamable.com/q2vi44

I have reverted back to the buck converter and there is no hum now, looks like the 5v fan output on PD14 is not as clean as i had hoped.

Last edited:
LMAO, that's awesome! Yeah the buck has a filter on it, that is probably what's going on there so if you can add a filter inline with pin PD14 it "should" work.

Humm, I might want to do this mod now.

Yeah, i was amazed that this was not done more.
Doesn't the Octopus allready have an elco onboard? im not that technical and i am afraid of messing up the board.

Last edited:
LMAO, that's awesome! Yeah the buck has a filter on it, that is probably what's going on there so if you can add a filter inline with pin PD14 it "should" work.

Humm, I might want to do this mod now.
This is the Reddit thread that got me going -> Reddit thread.
I would go for the 2x6W Stereo Audio Amplifier Mini 5V PAM8406 Volume Control - With screw terminals -> Amazon link. That one cuts down on the soldering. If you can get it to work cleanely on a 5v output on the Octopus, be sure to let me know. Good luck!

The Octo Pro has a built in speaker. Ahh I never have enough time. Maybe I can test it tonight.

Are you running Klipper + OctoPrint? Because I installed a plugin there, which does exactly what you wanted, and I just needed to hook a small beeper to it. Basically just 2 cables.

Are you running Klipper + OctoPrint? Because I installed a plugin there, which does exactly what you wanted, and I just needed to hook a small beeper to it. Basically just 2 cables.
i recently got rid of Octoprint as it was giving me problems. And i didnt really have a use for Octoprint.
I wonder if that beeper can play custom audio though? For instance the text to speech part in the Reddit thread linked above.

@NoGuru Did you manage to get it going, is your printer swearing at you yet? 😂
I did test it with the built in speaker but its not the right kind so no go. I did order some of the actual speakers mentioned but no time to test yet. Working on a different project for a 100K acceleration printer.

I did test it with the built in speaker but its not the right kind so no go. I did order some of the actual speakers mentioned but no time to test yet. Working on a different project for a 100K acceleration printer.
im guessing its just a beeper.
Good luck on the 100k build! sounds fast 😎

I just use a jq6500 module and just play preloaded phrases through the trigger io on the module. startup is mario saying "lets a-go.", end_print triggers cheering, etc. Default beep is a duck quack. The grandkids love it.