What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Power supply (PSU) & Octopus board LEDs blinking - no voltage registering

vpthrust

System: Voron V2.4 350mm LDO kit
Raspberry PI: powered by separate 5v power supply and is operating
Mailsail indicates: Klipper has encounter an error
MCU - not able to connect
BTT Octopus V1.1 board: reset button was pushed - no change

I recently updated my printer with a klicky probe. The config file had not been updated prior to restarting, after restarting I encountered a problem and turned off the printer with the power switch. Currently the LEDs on the power supply and the Octopus board are blinking. There is no voltage registering from the power supply not even spiking with the LED blinking. Does the power supply have a reset button. The BTT Octopus board does not appear to be active which I assume is because something is a miss with the current set up. Mailsail indicates Klipper and other programs are up to date. Obviously I am missing something here.

BTW I am new to this forum

When checking PSU voltage it is a good idea to also check the DC terminals for AC output. It seems that was an oversight of the original voltage check that was performed. The power supply (PSU) was generating 52v AC and not 24v DC. The flashing LEDs were an indication of an over voltage condition. A new PSU has been ordered. Hopefully that will resolve the situation.

When checking PSU voltage it is a good idea to also check the DC terminals for AC output. It seems that was an oversight of the original voltage check that was performed. The power supply (PSU) was generating 52v AC and not 24v DC. The flashing LEDs were an indication of an over voltage condition. A new PSU has been ordered. Hopefully that will resolve the situation.
can you elaborate more on how the psu was generating 52V AC vs 24 V DC ?
was it working fine earlier and suddenly exhibited this behavior ?
is your controller board and rest of electronics safe because of this condition ?
also can you share the make and model of the psu ?

Last edited:
That is very strange to have a PSU release more voltage then it's rated for. I am also curious what brand it is.

The PSU is a Meanwell, LRS 200-24. I called them and talked to a tech. They acknowledged the PSU appears to be defective but they do not handle warranty work. You have to go through the original purchase vendor or reseller as the case may be. They warranty for 2 years. As to why it was generating 52v AC, that is open to speculation at this point.

I will have to wait for a new PSU to check the controller board. It is my understanding the BTT Octopus board is designed to shut down under conditions like this but we will see.

The PSU is a Meanwell, LRS 200-24. I called them and talked to a tech. They acknowledged the PSU appears to be defective but they do not handle warranty work. You have to go through the original purchase vendor or reseller as the case may be. They warranty for 2 years. As to why it was generating 52v AC, that is open to speculation at this point.

I will have to wait for a new PSU to check the controller board. It is my understanding the BTT Octopus board is designed to shut down under conditions like this but we will see.

thanks and hope things work out for you. do share your update here as you receive your new powersupply

In my experience the safety features of the boards do not usually stop things from breaking. If you have the budget, get a spare board on hand.