What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

QGL issues post upgrade

I'm having a bit of trouble with my Voron 2.4r2 with TAP. I just extended Z height and now can't get QGL to work. It starts ok but at some point it comes up with the out of tolerance error and just stops with the nozzle in contact with the bed. Home all and it traverses the bed homing X and then falls off the edge of the bed. It then comes back over the bed to home Y and that's ok. Then it homes Z to the centre of the bed and does that correctly. I've done a probe calibrate and lower nozzle until it just drags on paper and then save config. Am I doing something wrong.

So before you extended Z it was working fine?
What happens if you increase the tolerances? They are pretty tight as it is.

Check the gantry bolts and belt tension. i had similar issues and found that things were a bit loose, causing enough movement to trip up Tap.

So before you extended Z it was working fine?
What happens if you increase the tolerances? They are pretty tight as it is.
Hi it was working really well prior to Z height upgrade. I assume you increase the tolerances in the printer config file

Check the gantry bolts and belt tension. i had similar issues and found that things were a bit loose, causing enough movement to trip up Tap.
Thank you. I've checked gantry bolts and all tight. I'm puzzled why the toolhead just stops on the tolerance error and then sits there until you home. When it homes X it drops off the side of the bed and then pops back once X has homed. Doesn't seem right.

Yeah, there should be a probe tolerance area in the Printer.CFG I think its in the Probe section. You can also add more retries to to see that helps.

SOLVED: checking everything carefully again I found one joint on the frame loose, a couple of slightly loose screws on the X gantry, all 4 Z drive belts belts from the motors to have way too much slack. Redid the Probe_ACCURACY samples=100 and got SD of 0.0024. I was then able to do QGL followed by PROBE_CALIBRATE and another QGL - AND IT ALL WORKED. Thank you everyone who offered things to check. It's why I chose to build a Voron.

Good to hear you got it solved! Those random bolts coming loose can drive you nuts--I spent a couple of days tearing out what hair I have left until I checked EVERY DAMN BOLT on the printer. After that Tap has been working great.

Was just having this problem for HOURS.
I realized that I didn't thread-lock the x-rail. I tightened those and my print started...
-edit-
Was wrong. Still doing it....

Last edited:
My Z-idlers were cracked. One was split. must've been too tight. I printed some resin replacements. Hopefully that resolves the issue but I'll have to make others just in case resin fails in high heat.

That would do it. I had a mildly cracked upper XY joint and it caused issues until I replaced it--fortunately I was able to print the replacement. That taught me to examine all the parts carefully and to be sure to not use too many ugga duggas when tightening things.