What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Queston about ebb36 canbus umbilical cable

Blazetoast215

I am trying to put together all the stuff i need for ebb36 canbus and I can’t seem to figure out how the whole umbilical system works and what wires I would need to make or buy one.

Basically, buy something like IGUS's Chainflex Control Cable (CF9-05-04) or 3DO's CAN Bus Cable from your local reputable seller. KB3D is out of stock on both right now. You could also buy a replacement cable for the EBB SB units and lop the XT30+2 connector off.

I bought the BTT EBB36 kit and got it with the PT100 amplifier included - this lead to problems mounting on a MiniSB tool head (Voron V0) and I had to find the perfect mount to clear the amplifier. If you don't need the PT100/1000 amplifier, don't get it it (MAX31865). The kit came with pins and connector for the CAN side as well, so all I ahd to source in the end was the CAN cable (4 core 20AWG/0.5 sq mm) and terminate it (found an amazon supplier so now I have 5M cable when I only needed less than 30cm!)

The U2C board on the other end also came with connectors, but they are also straightforward JST-XH which I have a kit for and can make them on demand (the power cables I took direct from the V0's 24V PSU)

Basically, buy something like IGUS's Chainflex Control Cable (CF9-05-04) or 3DO's CAN Bus Cable from your local reputable seller. KB3D is out of stock on both right now. You could also buy a replacement cable for the EBB SB units and lop the XT30+2 connector off.
I found the 3do canbus cable one question about it is how do I combine the ends i guess some are for power and other for the signals hope that makes sense

I found the 3do canbus cable one question about it is how do I combine the ends i guess some are for power and other for the signals hope that makes sense
Colors on the wires are somewhat standardized, red is vcc and black is ground like for normal electronics, the CAN wires are often yellow for high and green for low. Though the 3DO cable has white and green.

1711461122329.png
Realistically, as long as you don't mix up the connections, you are fine. Will strongly recommend using the thicker red/black wires for power and ground for their much higher current carrying capacity. Unsure what to do with the earth wire, but I'd be inclined to either not bother with it or attach it to the printer's earth connection.

Here is KB-3D's documentation for wiring CANBus to an EBB36 and a BTT U2C (v1 is same pin out, just no USB ports are on it with CAN transceivers behind it), since you never mentioned what you were connecting back to.

I bought the BTT EBB36 kit and got it with the PT100 amplifier included - this lead to problems mounting on a MiniSB tool head (Voron V0) and I had to find the perfect mount to clear the amplifier. If you don't need the PT100/1000 amplifier, don't get it it (MAX31865). The kit came with pins and connector for the CAN side as well, so all I ahd to source in the end was the CAN cable (4 core 20AWG/0.5 sq mm) and terminate it (found an amazon supplier so now I have 5M cable when I only needed less than 30cm!)

The U2C board on the other end also came with connectors, but they are also straightforward JST-XH which I have a kit for and can make them on demand (the power cables I took direct from the V0's 24V PSU)
Thank
Colors on the wires are somewhat standardized, red is vcc and black is ground like for normal electronics, the CAN wires are often yellow for high and green for low. Though the 3DO cable has white and green.

View attachment 4477
Realistically, as long as you don't mix up the connections, you are fine. Will strongly recommend using the thicker red/black wires for power and ground for their much higher current carrying capacity. Unsure what to do with the earth wire, but I'd be inclined to either not bother with it or attach it to the printer's earth connection.

Here is KB-3D's documentation for wiring CANBus to an EBB36 and a BTT U2C (v1 is same pin out, just no USB ports are on it with CAN transceivers behind it), since you never mentioned what you were connecting back to.
ok that makes sense thanks