What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

SB2040 Startup issue

loebbi

Hi

I’m having an issue on the mellow sb2040 can bus controller. There are two blue LEDs on the controller; one is a power light the other indicates the can-bus connection (I assume).
Normally, if I switch on my printer (V2.4) both LED are on immediately.

Sometimes only the power LED is on. When that happens I haven’t found any other solution then power cycling the printer until both led are on.
I don't know if I need to worry about that, are there any thoughts on this?

If the printer starts normal (Both LEDs are on) there is no other issue to the can-bus. I did several multi-hour prints without any connection problems.

This is satus of a current print

pi@mainsailos:~ $ ip -s link show can0
4: can0: <NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP,ECHO> mtu 16 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1024
link/can
RX: bytes packets errors dropped missed mcast
655008 106377 0 0 0 0
TX: bytes packets errors dropped carrier collsns
2168331 286091 0 0 0 0

This is my setup:

Voron 2.4r2 Formbot
Stelthburner+CW2+Tap
Mellow SB2040
RPI4 with waveshare can-hat
Octopus with klipper FW (no canboot)

I’m using the cables that come with the mellow kit in the cable chain

Best regards
Markus

There is usually a delay between the Control board and the CAN board on startup. I will occasionally not restart the printer but I will restart klipper to help it connect.

I also do not have a good feeling in restarting the printer but everything I tried so far do not solve the issue. This incudes restarting klipper, moonraker and the Pi. I also tried some commands to stop and restart the can communication.

I also think it can be a timing issue between the start of the sb2040 and the PI. Next I will try to start the Pi explicitly before the sb2040 and vice versa. I hope I can find a condition that is causing the behavior.

Next time it happens grab the klipper log and post it. Might be able to spot something that is going on.

Of course, since I reported the problem, it hasn't happened again. If there is any news on this, I will post it here.

Murphy's general laws​

• Nothing is as easy as it looks.
  • Everything takes longer than you think.
  • Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
  • If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong. Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.
  • If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
  • If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.
  • Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
  • If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
  • Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.
  • Mother nature is a bitch.
  • It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
  • Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
  • The Light at the end of the tunnel is only the light of an oncoming train.