What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved Strange vibration / noise on Y axis moves and extrusion issues

Driftrotor

Printer Model
V0.1
So got a weird one and one I'm struggling with.
The back story... My dad bought a V0.1 from FYSECT, it was a full kit including printed parts. I had checked it over and the components looked quite good. the printed parts looked quite good too, only 1 or 2 of them I would have reprinted but it was only for cosmetic reasons. he started printing with it and it was skipping steps on travel moves.
I gave it a once over and solved that one. he used it for a week and then gave it to me to iron out the kink and do a resonance test to get the best from it.
After the traval to mine (it was strapped in and secure) I did a couple of test prints after checking over the printer and they are all failing?
On travel moves in the Y axis it seems to resonate badly and skips steps sometimes?
I did the resonance test and got this as the result from the Y axis.
shaper_calibrate_y.png
as you can see it is very noisy but I'm not sure what the cause is.
I've loosened the belts and it helped but they are really slack now and doesn't seem right, but it is still doing it although not as bad.
I've checked the frame for squareness, fixings are tight but not too tight, belt alignment from the motors and all the bearings, bearings are not being clamped, rails run smooth as silk, gantry has been checked over, I've even rebuilt the motion part of the printer to see if I was missing anything and it is still the same?

the X axis is spot on and works as expected. (got 18K acceleration)

machine is still running stock settings for speed and acceleration until this issue is sorted.

any hints, area's to look at, suggestions, tips or tricks will be well received!

Thanx in advance!

I am sure you checked the surface you are on?

What about the tool head, is there any play there?

sorry for the late reply, i have been working away from home.
i found the issue in the end, but yes i had indeed checked for play and tried the printer of a few surfaces with no effect.
the issues i found was that the TMC drivers were set to Interpolate=true, so was causing the motors to buzz and induced resonance in the frame.
i also found that the belts were not tensioned correctly. bless my farther for his inexperience (it was his first printer)
once i sorted that it now behaves as i expected and prints really quite well.
the last thing im battling with is some issues with VLA's. they are quite bad but i have read that sometimes the A B motors can cause this, so i might upgrade him to some nice hybrid ones to see if this helps at all.

sorry for the late reply, i have been working away from home.
i found the issue in the end, but yes i had indeed checked for play and tried the printer of a few surfaces with no effect.
the issues i found was that the TMC drivers were set to Interpolate=true, so was causing the motors to buzz and induced resonance in the frame.
i also found that the belts were not tensioned correctly. bless my farther for his inexperience (it was his first printer)
once i sorted that it now behaves as i expected and prints really quite well.
the last thing im battling with is some issues with VLA's. they are quite bad but i have read that sometimes the A B motors can cause this, so i might upgrade him to some nice hybrid ones to see if this helps at all.
Glad you got it sorted out. VLA's?
Just changing motors can change resonance if that is what you are talking about.

Glad you got it sorted out. VLA's?
Just changing motors can change resonance if that is what you are talking about.
Yes the VLA's (vertical line artifacts) the pattern from my dads V0.1 is quite bad. Makes prints look not very appealing, so have been looking into how to improve this part of the printer.
I've not had issues like this before on any of my own printers, at least not to this degree.
I was thinking of swapping my moons motor in for his extruder as I've tried changing the stepper driver settings without much of an effect.
His current motor is a Fysetc so not sure of the quality to be honest.
I might give it a go as I have a bit of time tonight and see what happens.

Yeah try a different brand and make sure the belt path it lined up. Keep us posted.

well i found what i think is the issue.
I was going to print a Voron cube to get a bench mark and then change the motor over to the moons and run another cube.
didn't even get the chance as the stepper motor died while it was printing the first cube.
i pulled the motor out and tested it, and sure enough any resistance makes it stall.
i then plugged in the moons and, yep. loads to torque and nice and smooth... and quiet.!
i'll be getting in an LDO i think as the moons motor is not easy to find here in the UK.
i will report back once it arrives and i get it installed, but i think this will be cure.

update time!
i got the new ldo steep motor on last night and did some testing after updating the motor current to 0.6a.
it now prints again but i have yet more issues.
firstly i had to reverse the motor, not a big deal but it did confuse me at first.
secondly, i was getting really inconsistent extrusion. some material then not enough, then some and then not enough?
i checked my rotational distance and it was spot on. (22.31) and i did this hot too.
i changed the dragonfly clone out for my dragon sf to see if it was that causing the weird extrusion. better but not great either.
i checked the rotational distance again and it is still bob on.
ok it might be a config issue. seems to check out ok when compared to the GitHub source.
the stepper motor is definitely smoother and quieter than the fysetc motor.
all my prints so far have been under extruding quite badly. infill lines are not touching etc.
i ran a flow test of 2% from 100% and 100% was the best but was still under extruded.
120% is nearly there??? this seems way too much so i must be missing somthing.
i have disassembled the print head and checked over the bmg gears. nothing stripped / out of line.
i can turn them and manually extrude filament with the motor out and it seems to work just fine?

im a bit lost for what to try next.
any ideas?

phaetous dragon
50w heater
0.4 nozzle
0.2mm layers
esun pla+
hot end temp 215
bed temp 60
preasure advance 0.032

using super slicer

update time!
it's all good news too.
after swapping out all the other parts on the tool head without success, i only had 2 things it could have been.
1. bad set of BMG gears
2. bed set of printed parts
it turned out to be the printed parts that came in the kit.
they seem to miss align the BMG gears so making extrusion inconsistent.
i printed off a new set of tool head parts for the v0.2 and got in the extra parts and some nice fans.
after fitting it all up it now runs spot on. the weird extrusion has gone and is now silky smooth!
anyone having issues with this might want to upgrade the tool head, its very well designed and easier to put together.
16845137495312690901610301284240.jpg
Here is a pic of what it used to look like before I changed the printed parts.

Last edited: