What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Tap PCB not triggering

Leight616

Hi all.. i'm just at the beginning of my shakedown after mechanical construction. I've got a 2.4 Siboor kit that comes with the OptoTap v2.1 24v PCB kit. Right now i'm using the configuration files they supply as it's supposed to work?

I've got it wired up (i think correctly) and I'm not seeing any change in the LED when i manually move the steathburner head. With it all (PCB etc.) in place i am seeing a red led on the back of the board - this would be with the print head in the 'default position'. Assuming I've got the wiring correct i expected to see the light go blue when i move the printhead up as if it were 'triggered'... is this correct?

I took the PCB off the back of the printhead and tried to get it to change manually (inserting something to block the sensor)... nothing changes.

just to clarify my expectations.. if there is nothing obstructing the sensor this is considered triggered? so the light should be blue?

Does anyone have any suggestions? i can't do anything else as the Siboor kit does not come with the parts to not have Tap.

thanks

This happened to me as well, and I believe it was because I had the ground and signal lines swapped. I don't exactly remember it has been a while since, but two wire were swapped. I'll suggest you double check wiring. Beyond this, I don't have much else to offer.

OK thanks... i tried swapping them around and got a solid red light vs solid blue light... but they never changed (either way)

Ground and signal being swapped is a possible cause. I also tried moving the signal back to the "proper" PB7 port on the Octopus and it didn't work. Put that back on PG15 where I had Klicky and it worked again.

Ground and signal being swapped is a possible cause. I also tried moving the signal back to the "proper" PB7 port on the Octopus and it didn't work. Put that back on PG15 where I had Klicky and it worked again.
ok i was 'assuming' the configuration file was good as it was provided by Siboor, that is probably my next thing to check. All that happens when i change the wiring around is the light changes colour, nothing actually makes it trigger. it's either permanently red or blue.

It looks like Siboor includes the Octopus Pro, so I assume the controller side connection (and issue) is similar to my regular old Octopus. I have the 24V and ground to the PB7 port, and moved the signal to the adjacent PG15 port. In the printer setup, you need to set the [probe] pin definition to PG15. That's worked for me. Check the upper right corner of the second image here for reference.

It looks like Siboor includes the Octopus Pro, so I assume the controller side connection (and issue) is similar to my regular old Octopus. I have the 24V and ground to the PB7 port, and moved the signal to the adjacent PG15 port. In the printer setup, you need to set the [probe] pin definition to PG15. That's worked for me. Check the upper right corner of the second image here for reference.
Thanks for replying... i should have mentioned the kit comes with Cam so i'm using the BTT 2240_2209 board and currently are using the virtual endstops. I've tried a range of different GPIO pins on the CAM board but i'm still getting the same behavior. Last night i swapped in an X endstop switch as a test and i see a correct trigger event in Klipper so i know Cam/Pinout is working.

I'm increasingly convinced that the Optical sensor is borked.. i've contacted their support and it looks like they're sending me a new one.

I will however, look into trying it off the mainboard to doublecheck; thanks for the suggestion

Aha, well I'm staying well away from CAN. That may be the issue. I also use switches for XY endstops, but I don't think that should interact with Tap getting a reading. Hopefully there's someone with Tap + CAN that can chime in--you've moved away from any experience & modicum of knowledge I have.

Thanks for replying... i should have mentioned the kit comes with Cam so i'm using the BTT 2240_2209 board and currently are using the virtual endstops. I've tried a range of different GPIO pins on the CAM board but i'm still getting the same behavior. Last night i swapped in an X endstop switch as a test and i see a correct trigger event in Klipper so i know Cam/Pinout is working.

I'm increasingly convinced that the Optical sensor is borked.. i've contacted their support and it looks like they're sending me a new one.

I will however, look into trying it off the mainboard to doublecheck; thanks for the suggestion
Hi can you soler your problem with TAP + EBB2209? i have the same issue.

I have similar issue. I've installed ebb2209 + chaoticlab tap v2. I've wired tap to ebb2209 on x-endstop connector and always lights on blue. I've moved toolhead manually and it never changes color to red.
I don't use Probe connector because it's died.

I've had that happen to 3 optical sensors, and I am starting to think I have a wiring issue that's slowly killing them. One was like yours out of the box, another 3 months in and on a CNC TAP. The one test I've come up with to tell if its a bad sensor, or bad wiring is to pull the signal wire from the connector, if the sensor is good it should trigger