What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Testing Optotap PCB V2

drpeej

Having built my Tap I thought I should test it before continuing with the build.

I havent yet installed the rest of the electronics so this has nothing to do with config files etc. I was just testing the Tap hardware & PCB

I applied 5v to the red and black connections and the LED lit up Red. Moving the tap manually did not change this. This seems to be at odds with what I was expecting. My understanding from looking at the circuit is that the LED should be blue when not triggered and turn red when triggered.

I took the PCB out and tested it again using a piece of card to obstruct the optical path. Once again, the light stayed permanently red.

Does this mean there is something wrong with the PCB? Or have I misunderstood?

Peter

Hey Peter, there are a lot of kits out there so I am not sure which one you have or what it does but when I had TAP installed I think it was just the light was off, and when triggered it was on.

Hey Peter, there are a lot of kits out there so I am not sure which one you have or what it does but when I had TAP installed I think it was just the light was off, and when triggered it was on.
Thanks but I've sorted it. The problem was with the cable - or to be more accurate, with my inability to read the instructions. The cable has different plug connections at each end as the pins are different between the Tap PCB and the toolhead board. I reversed the cable and all is now OK - LED Red when not triggered and blue when triggered.