What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved Thinking of going CAN bus. What's the best option for my setup?

Oh, I thought you said you tried it.
Like I said, I have used almost every CAN board on the market. USB is way easier. I really don't know how you cannot see this. I am not going to argue with you since you have your mind made up but I would still suggest trying it before making your opinion.

I created a Poll on the Voron USB/CAN Discord channel. https://discord.com/channels/460117602945990666/1076243803947667516/1237732659103268895
Looks like in your poll you are the only one supporting USB instead of CAN.

So I have now added to the mass of people that need to research can bus or usb 🤨
Since there do not seem to be convincing arguments yet that swing either way, I think best to keep on researching on a very broad range of platforms to see what are the general feelings out there.
One thing is for sure, wiring looms are a dreadful source of trouble, always have and most likely will stay that way. But I kniw about wiring and I know next to nothing about can bus or usb. Jumping into the dark is not my thing.

I didn't switch until I broke a wire in the chain.
It is where I am at right now, on day 5 of having my printer up and running. Before me, my brother helped my dad with the A and B motors which had a wire break in it too. My original builder did not wire it very neatly and with the standard pvc wires. Not ideal for cable chains and moving parts. I ordered silicon wires with the view to do all the critical stuff again myself, but maybe going usb or can is the way to go in my situation. Not decided yet. First will fix my heater problem, which is easy as the break is glaringly obvious (I think), but in the future I must do something to address the mess I am left with.

I have to turn the telegram bot service off to keep my communication timing good, but other than that, I'm loving NiteHawk-SB over USB.
As far as the timing goes, I'm probably going to switch from an RPi to an intel based mircro pc

Well I'm thinking a bit different about Canbus. I recently builded a Voron 2.4 R2 Pro and it wasn´t easy finding out all the stuff. Flashing Canbus and making it communicate isn´t that easy but now that it works I would say go for it. if you have some experience and patience. You are going to love it to my opinion. It took me about two months and there is a lot on Youtube to make it work. Voron is awesome. :)