What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Trident build inspired by the powerloader from Aliens

clee

Staff member
Voron Owner
To celebrate @hartk finally starting a Trident build, I'm doing another one too. But this one's gonna be a little different…

IMG_3367.jpg

Last edited:
I made some modifications to the A/B drives. One is, all of the bearings are riding on MSB5-20 Misumi shoulder bolts now, which are threaded into M3 heatset inserts.

IMG_3369.jpg

IMG_3368.jpg

Last edited:
I also added MSB5-20s to the XY joints, and yes, I'm going a little off-book here.

Also testing out some new front idlers, which I'm calling BFI for "Beefy Front Idlers".

IMG_3378.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really looking forward to how the IS comes out compared to a normal trident, given it appears you're normalizing your weight balance with the flipped XY joints. Who knows though, looks fun tho

Looks like a fun project. I am not sure the benefit you will gain other then you can maybe go a little tighter on the belts?

Took a little while figuring out where to upload more images because I don't trust Discord to keep happily hosting them here. In the meantime, I've made some more progress with the build.

Z joints mounted to Z rails
IMG_3385.jpg

Installed whoppingpochard's kinematic bed mount on the bed frame
IMG_3396.jpg

A little "rest of the #*$!ing owl" here… got the bed installed and wired through the Z chain, got the toolhead installed and wired over CAN to an EBB36…

IMG_3444.jpg

And a little electronics-bay wiring shot.
IMG_3449.jpg

Looks like a fun project. I am not sure the benefit you will gain other then you can maybe go a little tighter on the belts?

The goal here is to be able to have equal tension on the belts without worrying about accidentally bending a motor shaft. I'm not sure how much tension this gets you beyond stock because I wouldn't even know where to start the simulations or calculations for that, but moving the belt tension 10mm closer to the base of the motor seems like a good idea to me. Even if it does look a little funky.

The goal here is to be able to have equal tension on the belts without worrying about accidentally bending a motor shaft. I'm not sure how much tension this gets you beyond stock because I wouldn't even know where to start the simulations or calculations for that, but moving the belt tension 10mm closer to the base of the motor seems like a good idea to me. Even if it does look a little funky.
It makes sense. it's like modding a car, you might do something that has a tiny gain, but lots of tiny gains can equal lots of success. I will be looking forward to hearing your findings.