What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Tridex Build - 400 x 400(ish)

BrettW

Been working on a large format Tridex. Currently its up to the point where I can home both tool heads and run some x/y tests.

Frame assembled and x/y belted up.
2022-01-25 17.58.12.jpg

Reprinted the A/B drive mounts & idlers for the latest tridex release.
2022-11-06 01.28.55.jpg

Deck Panel Installed & Electronics bay wired up with mains.
2022-11-06 12.02.09.jpg

2022-11-09 17.03.45.jpg

Both stealth burners assembled and attached. Waiting on Huvud's to arrive before final wiring.
2022-11-12 20.20.30.jpg
2022-11-13 12.05.29.jpg

Build plate drilled & test fitted.

2022-11-16 17.13.35.jpg

Next steps are installing the silicone heater which should arrive today, and mounting the euclid probe for Z home.

Waiting on Huvud's to arrive from America, I'll hopefully have them next week.

Don't think I can embed video, but here's a video of it homing.

Last edited:
The kinematics is made for 400x400. The build plate is 400 x 400 as well, my thought process was that I could achieve 200 x 400 mm in mirror/duplication mode. But practical IDEX printing is probably closer to 300 x 400 mm. not sure what I'm going to do given that the release candidate design now has brushes for each tool head and might not fit the bed size.

i think you have a good format! I don't think you'll regret going the size you have. It's hard to see in the pictures, but do the hotends extend past the build plate on X axis?
As good as the stealth burners are, their size is a constraint in an idex configuration.
For a few years I was using a bcn3d sigmax idex printer at work. I loved it and thought the design was well considered in many ways. If you have time take a look at the 3d model. they had put all the 3d files on github on its release. There may be some ideas in there. The toolheads are much smaller than the stealth burner.
Imo a purge bucket or wiper is a must for dual extrusion. It gets far too messy without it.

that's a big one! It's looking good, as @Sliced_Weezel mentioned the wipers likely won't fit with the full size build plate, but maybe you can come up with another solution. Hopefully someone can get Mirrored/Duplication done sometime too with all of the interest!

Yeah, the bed is a bit too big. The frame and bed were purchased a while back and didn't consider it.
My thinking was eventually full plate with 200x400 in duplication mode.

I think I have just enough room to do some kind of custom wiper setup on the edges. It'll be a good excuse to get creative.

Euclid Probe & Heated bed is installed & wired up.
Euclid works really well, expected more jank from the docking system.

The bed mesh is iteresting, there's a twist in the far side where it's only supported in the middle. Not sure what's causing it. It's there both cold and at temp.

Attachments

• Tridex_BedMesh.png
    Tridex_BedMesh.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20221120_165141.jpg
    20221120_165141.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221120_165156.jpg
    20221120_165156.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 34
I had similar bed mesh, tilting just the same. I have ended up improving by packing it out with tape. As you said, there is no mounting points in those spots, so hard to adjust. With tape I was able to get it to +- 0.15

Y rails not parallel?
Thanks guys, didn't even consider that. After remeasuring and adjusting the rails it went from a 0.38mm variance to 0.28. So I think you're correct in it being skewed rails.
Putting them equal distance from the top is close, but I think there's something slightly off with the frame, so I'll just adjust them until it's level on the mesh instead of to the top extrusions.

Thanks guys, didn't even consider that. After remeasuring and adjusting the rails it went from a 0.38mm variance to 0.28. So I think you're correct in it being skewed rails.
Putting them equal distance from the top is close, but I think there's something slightly off with the frame, so I'll just adjust them until it's level on the mesh instead of to the top extrusions.
Me either! Going to check mine next time I have 5 minutes