What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Troubleshooting Layer Shifts

bythorsthunder

Staff member
Voron Owner
1. Speeds -Check your speeds and accels, especially travels. Limit A and B steppers to 300mm/s and 5k accels for testing. Stealthchop Disabled.
2. Belt Routing -Ensure belts are not touching plastic on the back of the A or B drives. Post a photo if unsure.
3. Grubs -Check A and B motor grub screws. Make sure they are tight and on the flats of the motor shaft.
4. Belt Tension -Make sure your belts are not too loose or too tight. 110hz on a 150mm length of belt.
5. Stepper Drivers -Ensure heatsinks are installed and you have cooling fans blowing air over the mcu.
6. Panels -Ensure rear panel has not warped inwards making contact with the belts on the back of the gantry. Check with hot chamber.
7. Stepper Motors -Set to a reasonable current. 0.8amps-1amp for most common motors.
8. Gantry Check -Disable motors, center the toolhead and push the Y axis towards the back without touching belts or toolhead. Does the X axis move?
9. Slicer- Ensure you are not over-extruding. This can cause the nozzle to snag while printing.
10. Cooling -Corners curling up can also snag the nozzle. Use Z hop if possible.
11. Linear Rails -Snagging of the carriage while moving on the rail can cause shifts. This can often be heard as loud clicking during rapid toolhead movements or can be felt during manual movements.

My issue appears to be #8. As I push my Y axis towards the back my head moves to the left or negative direction. What should I be looking at?

Thank you! I found my belt routing error. Everything is tightened at 150mm. Now I have a new issue. Printer will home fine but when it starts to print it slams into the the back right corner and keeps trying to move that direction until I press the emergency stop or unplug the printer. My X and Y limit switches seem to be working fine.

Thank you! I found my belt routing error. Everything is tightened at 150mm. Now I have a new issue. Printer will home fine but when it starts to print it slams into the the back right corner and keeps trying to move that direction until I press the emergency stop or unplug the printer. My X and Y limit switches seem to be working fine.
I think we will need to check out your printer.cfg file for that issue.

More of a z-banding than layer shift thing...but make sure your nozzle is in tight. Mainly noting for Revo. Don't ask why I mention this... 🤦‍♂️

Another thing that isn't listed - broken belt. I had one of my belts break internally and only caused issues when I printed in certain areas of my bed. I guess this could be related to belt tension, but I wanted to make a point of it as it happened to me and I was pretty frustrated with it for a while. The lesson I learned... Always use Gates belts.