What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Voron 2.4 with 800mm print height

Sojka

I have client who is asking for custom voron 2.4 R2 with print height 100cm print height. Is this possible?

On a V2 I don't see why not. Just longer extrusions, Z belts, and wire harness to the gantry.

The only problem I can see is with more stretch in belts and more flex in the frame. Maybe you should consider to reinforce the frame corners more in order to not have too much of this effect. Voron frame is only 2020 and when the print is at 800mm high, al the moving weight is at the top. This will be the most non-ideal situation for the Voron.
But theoretically it will work for sure.

I suspect that rigidly bolted side panels (not just edge mounted with the stock clips) would go a long way toward making it stable.
(Much like how the wood sheathing on a house frame adds significant shear strength to the walls.)

A cross brace or two on the front side would be an inconvenience for part removal, but might be worth it to help keep the frame front extrusions from bowing.

Come to think of it, I wonder if with 800mm extrusions, you might have issues with them being not straight enough along that length from the factory?

Another complication would be if this was to be enclosed. At that height, maintaining a consistent chamber temperature would require some extra effort.

I suspect that rigidly bolted side panels (not just edge mounted with the stock clips) would go a long way toward making it stable.
(Much like how the wood sheathing on a house frame adds significant shear strength to the walls.)

A cross brace or two on the front side would be an inconvenience for part removal, but might be worth it to help keep the frame front extrusions from bowing.

Come to think of it, I wonder if with 800mm extrusions, you might have issues with them being not straight enough along that length from the factory?

Another complication would be if this was to be enclosed. At that height, maintaining a consistent chamber temperature would require some extra effort.
solid screwed on panels fixed to the outside of the extruded members will do a mighty lot to stability indeed. But I would still put some corner strut in I think. If you buy a good brand, not nameless Chinese, they will be good enough and within stated tolerances. But stay away from those offered to you for cents per linear meter without any mention of who made them.
Lastly I do not think stability of temperature is a real issue even for something 800 high. The temperature might be higher in the top then the bottom but with a good heat soak, as long as the panels are closed well enough, it should be stable enough for ABS, ASA, PETG and nylons. I don't think he will have issues with that.