What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

What probe to use?

ImSAMazing

Hey guys,

Currently finishing my BOM for the voron 2.4 with stealthburner. Just wondering what kind of probe you guys recommend I go for? Still a plain-old inductive Omron one, or Klicky, or Euclid, or wait for TAP, or...?
It's quite confusing to figure out the best option.

I will be going with PiF parts, if that matters.

Regards,
Sam

Hey guys,

Currently finishing my BOM for the voron 2.4 with stealthburner. Just wondering what kind of probe you guys recommend I go for? Still a plain-old inductive Omron one, or Klicky, or Euclid, or wait for TAP, or...?
It's quite confusing to figure out the best option.

I will be going with PiF parts, if that matters.

Regards,
Sam
My Formbot kit should be arriving today. For me, I'll go with whatever came in the kit to get started. I am guessing it will come with the inductive. They are fairly low cost and will do the job to get started. I believe going with the most common at the start of a new build will allow the most support from the community to get any issues fixed. Getting the printer up and running well is my plan with modifications later.

Recommend going with the inductive probe or at least starting there (which I believe is the official recommendation). If you have the red Panasonic one, I would invest in either some Kapton or Reflect-A-Gold tape to protect it as they seem to be made of ABS and are more prone to melting, especially if you are using a larger hot end. The yellow Omron probes also work and seem to handle the heat a little better.

If you are using a lower-end kit, maybe buy a quality inductive probe as some of the cheap ones (i.e. the $5 ones) tend to fail/ have issues. At worst, you'll have a spare.

A quality inductive probe can get < 0.01mm QGLs and leave you with perfect first layers.

Recommend going with the inductive probe or at least starting there (which I believe is the official recommendation). If you have the red Panasonic one, I would invest in either some Kapton or Reflect-A-Gold tape to protect it as they seem to be made of ABS and are more prone to melting, especially if you are using a larger hot end. The yellow Omron probes also work and seem to handle the heat a little better.

If you are using a lower-end kit, maybe buy a quality inductive probe as some of the cheap ones (i.e. the $5 ones) tend to fail/ have issues. At worst, you'll have a spare.

A quality inductive probe can get < 0.01mm QGLs and leave you with perfect first layers.
+1 agree. I've been using the standard omron probe for over a year and it works perfectly (with some aluminium foil tape on the side facing the hotend as a precaution)

Stock config is inductive probe, and it works just fine. You should go for that at first. Mine is from the Formbot kit (early 2020) and despite a bit of housing deformation due to heat (put some kapton tape on it to shield it a bit), and it has held up for hundreds of hours of printing ASA/ABS at 265C and my first layers are consistent even on m 350x350 bed.

If it fails I will consider switching to Tap, but I might just get lazy and order a new inductive probe.

Personally I don't like the idea of most clicky designs, I find it too complicated and by general industrial/machine design principles a homing device like this should not be mounted/dismounted constantly unless there's a very specific need for it to be removed from the business end (like a measuring probe on a 5 axis CNC machine)... with that said, people seem generally happy with their clicky conversions.

I have used Euclid and Klicky and both are okay, but like others have said, go with the stock probe and then see where you want to go.
I would think the TAP is much better then all three so by then if there are any issues they should be resolved.

I literally used all options, inductive, Euclid, Klicky, Unklicky, and now, Tap. No doubt that Tap(I'm using Unklicky TAP, without the optical sensor) is the way to go, no more babysitting, the first layer is always perfect. If not an option, I'd go with Unklicky.