What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

What Version of What Slicer in 2024?

Hi all,

I'm new to Voron, but have been designing and printing parts for a few years now. Having moved from Afinia (proprietary required slicer) to Prusa (keeping Prusa Slicer up to date) to Voron, I thought I would move to SuperSlicer. When I went to download it, I noticed that the stable version is about 18 months old now.

I generally use the stable versions, but I'm wondering if the community has identified a more recent build that is stable enough and improves functionality enough to warrant using it? Or for example, if any of the recent Orca Slicer builds are giving SuperSlicer a solid challenge.

Thanks n advance for any input.

OrcaSlicer is a solid bet right now. It's an active project, with regular releases, and a lot of community momentum.

I wrote a little bit just this morning about how the Slic3r-based slicer environment has changed over the past couple years:

Another alternative is SuperSlicer, which recently came back to life after an hiatus from the author (due to Real Life Problems™). It needs to catch up some updates from PrusaSlicer, but is a solid alternative, the preferred for many in the Discord server and the one with most content created by the community, like the awesome Ellis' Print Tuning Guide.

I really like Orca the most right now and Prusa slicer is my second go to. I stopped using Super Slicer about a year ago due to the lack of support but as mentioned its coming back.

Hi all,

I'm new to Voron, but have been designing and printing parts for a few years now. Having moved from Afinia (proprietary required slicer) to Prusa (keeping Prusa Slicer up to date) to Voron, I thought I would move to SuperSlicer. When I went to download it, I noticed that the stable version is about 18 months old now.

I generally use the stable versions, but I'm wondering if the community has identified a more recent build that is stable enough and improves functionality enough to warrant using it? Or for example, if any of the recent Orca Slicer builds are giving SuperSlicer a solid challenge.

Thanks n advance for any input.
Many people don't want to switch slicers for some incremental gain or just screen cosmetics. But I just moved from Cura to Orca. Orca actualy produces different G-code files that have different result.. For example I just noticed that when Orca printed the first solid layer after gyriod infill the line angle wass set to minimize the bridging distance. if the top of the infil is a square pattern, you don't want to bridge digonally over the corners of the squares. This is obvious when you see it and now I coiuld force Cura to tdo this. There are dozens of other tiny little things like this

I also notice that Orca is setting and resetting the max accelerations based on what is being printed, if is is infill or lines oe whatever. Orca seems to have a lot more attension to detail then Cura. Or maybe I couild they that seem to have automated thi.

I also notice a setting in Orca for "automatic" on skirts. I did not know what that did so I left it set. Today I found Orca was using skirst when an ABS parts might be more prone to warping. Again Cura can do oe not do skirst but I have to tell it. I can tell Orca which to do, or let it choose. I don't know yet how good it is at choosing.

I know Cura very well as I used it for many years. I jst found Orca a few weeks ago but already I see that it runs my printer faster and paoosbly makes better parts.

One thing i KNOW Orca does better is automatic part placement. It seem to be good at fiding which sides goes down. I've had to change it a few time when I intentionally want to print something standing on it's head or side. But it does good, mostly. Cura can do this too.

Finally one BIG deal. Orca ca accept STEP files. I do not need to make STL files. What I don't know yet is if Orca is taking advantage os the exact, not-approximate data in the STEP files. STLS are also an approimatation. STEP files contain the exact geometry. Some day I will look at the code. It coulde be Orc is sim[le doing the STL conversion for me.

PrusaSlicer has the best GUI in my opinion, but I've been having quality issues with the prints after an update. I switch between Cura/Orca and PS, but should fully migrate to Orca at this point. I like how in PS I can edit the g-code right there, but maybe the others can do that as well and I am not picking up on it. Like I said I should just switch to one slicer and dial in profiles instead anyways.

I read this month (March '24) that the SuperSlicer dev was sidelined for a bit while recovering from a medical issue (broken limb I think?). He was integrating his features into v2.7 of PrusaSlicer, so the organic supports are not yet in SS, but PS does not have all the different tweaks that SS has.... I'm using PS and waiting for SS to catch up. Switching back and forth as needed.