What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

z axis leadscrews with one stepper motor

zsolt320i

Hi Everyone,

im interested to build a trident, but i do not understand why for z axis is used 3 stepper?
Wouldn't it be better and cheaper to use one stepper and couple of them with timeing belt?

Thx!
Zsolt

Each stepper runs independently so you can level the bed.
its make sense :). but lets say im very price sensitive, would it be possible to have just one motor, and level the bed manually? Like this i could save two motors, and a cheaper board would be enough?

For as much as a Trident costs to build, two extra motors and the supporting electronics is something like a 3% increase. Personally I would rather people buy a different and less expensive printer to have a functional printer than to have a Voron that has corners cut.

For as much as a Trident costs to build, two extra motors and the supporting electronics is something like a 3% increase. Personally I would rather people buy a different and less expensive printer to have a functional printer than to have a Voron that has corners cut.
thx. could you suggest a cheaper but still good printer in 300cmX300cmX300cm? (i know this is voron a forum and it is not polite but maybe it is allowed)

This is not a forum to discuss the world of 3d printing, but I want people to be successful even if is it not with a Voron.

Nero has been saying the Sovol SV06 is a good budget printer. It look like they are coming out with a 300 version very soon.
Like @120decibell noted, the extra two Z motors isn't much of the cost of a Trident. I self-sourced my Trident build to spread out the cost; my Z motors came from Sparta 3D in their kit, which is currently showing sold out but is about $95 for the three or about $32 per motor individually.

There are some advanced printers out there such as the VZBot that have ditched multiple z-motors, running a single z-motor that connects 3 lead screws using a belt.
According to him it allows him to run the printer without needing a probe.
This does start to lead to significant cost savings if you add it up.
You only need a mainboard with support for 4 stepper motors, only need 4 stepper drivers, you save the cost of 2 steppers and don't need a probe (maybe).

I'm not sure it would simplify the printer build though since you'll have to deal with the belt and manual leveling instead of dealing with additional stepper motors and complicated wiring.

if price is a issue, build a normal one but throw in a Ender, Geeetech, Whatever bed and upgrade later.
As for the MCU, 2x skr Pico or any combination of cheap mcu works as good as a octopus.

things you can safe on to start out
(prices in € including 19% VAT)
* 30 € used Ender 3 (bed, 1 mcu, motors, PSU, screen if its the no touch, 1 leadscrew & coupler )
* 60 € pre cut, self tap/drill extrusions in black
* 10 € V6
* 90 € CNA rails (mgn9+12)

From a pure price point one consider buying a cheap kit as for a manual build you also need the tools.

I'm curious about your comment regarding the bed. I've been looking into this, since one of those Prusa style PCB's should be cheaper, make the printer lighter, and get rid of the risk of the heater pad falling off. With the disadvantage of warping on the larger voron models probably.
But the PCB's aren't really available in the standard voron sizes.

Prusa fixed the warp issue by having a segmented bed for the XL.
If the upcoming XL is going to have a segmented bed also, it might make sense to use pcb's rather than aluminium plates.
It's cheaper in small sizes, and it's going to get a segmented bed anyway.

I'm curious about your comment regarding the bed. I've been looking into this, since one of those Prusa style PCB's should be cheaper, make the printer lighter, and get rid of the risk of the heater pad falling off. With the disadvantage of warping on the larger voron models probably.
But the PCB's aren't really available in the standard voron sizes.

Prusa fixed the warp issue by having a segmented bed for the XL.
If the upcoming XL is going to have a segmented bed also, it might make sense to use pcb's rather than aluminium plates.
It's cheaper in small sizes, and it's going to get a segmented bed anyway.
230 Ender bed works fine in a 250 Trident, so does a 260 Geeetech (tho you cant use all of it).
If you go 300 or 350 frame you can either buy a larger bed later or go IDEX.

Everything at or above 180 should be sufficient for most people printing the random thing of the week.
I recommend 250 for people not having a clear usecase for something larger.

230 Ender bed works fine in a 250 Trident, so does a 260 Geeetech (tho you cant use all of it).
If you go 300 or 350 frame you can either buy a larger bed later or go IDEX.

Everything at or above 180 should be sufficient for most people printing the random thing of the week.
I recommend 250 for people not having a clear usecase for something larger.
Heeyyy, that's some pretty great advice, did not now Geeetech was offering those.
Are there any existing mods out there for these alternative beds to mount them on a Voron? I haven't come across those yet.
(sorry for going off topic)

Heeyyy, that's some pretty great advice, did not now Geeetech was offering those.
Are there any existing mods out there for these alternative beds to mount them on a Voron? I haven't come across those yet.
(sorry for going off topic)
no mods, either drill the metal carriage or use corner.
btw i'm not that active in forum, join us on #ender_conversion_chat in discord (# top right in the switchwire channel).

1698131716972.png

I have creality K1. K1 is trident replica. It moves the table with a single motor and belt system. I am planning to build a large area printer. I'm thinking 500x500 Trident. It is possible with a single stepper. Printing can be done with adaptive z height. I also have an idea to eliminate the z probe with a weight sensor attached to the nozzle. I am a Solidworks user, if I can convert the step assembly file into a part file I will start.
I will have to change the case structure a little, I will use 25x25 extrusion frame and HGR15 rail for 500mm area. HGR15 rails are cheaper and have higher load capacity. It means longer life with lower loads.

I have creality K1. K1 is trident replica. It moves the table with a single motor and belt system. I am planning to build a large area printer. I'm thinking 500x500 Trident. It is possible with a single stepper. Printing can be done with adaptive z height. I also have an idea to eliminate the z probe with a weight sensor attached to the nozzle. I am a Solidworks user, if I can convert the step assembly file into a part file I will start.
I will have to change the case structure a little, I will use 25x25 extrusion frame and HGR15 rail for 500mm area. HGR15 rails are cheaper and have higher load capacity. It means longer life with lower loads.
Have you considered looking into solution with static bed and flying gantry instead of lifting 9 kg of aluminium plate with single motor plus kgs of plastic during print?

Have you considered looking into solution with static bed and flying gantry instead of lifting 9 kg of aluminium plate with single motor plus kgs of plastic during print?
Lead screws have a high gear ratio. Z movement will be smooth with low acceleration and low power. On the other hand, the flying gantry system in the 2.4 model has 4 extra stepper motor that require more processor calculations. I plan to change the extruder and nozzle system to double heads in the future. For the IDEX independent double head system, the fixed structure suits me better.

Lead screws have a high gear ratio. Z movement will be smooth with low acceleration and low power. On the other hand, the flying gantry system in the 2.4 model has 4 extra stepper motor that require more processor calculations. I plan to change the extruder and nozzle system to double heads in the future. For the IDEX independent double head system, the fixed structure suits me better.
4 extra stepper motors and belts are cheaper than quality 500 mm motors with integrated leadscrews or ballscrews. Computation is absolutely not a problem for Klipper since motion gets calculated on more powerful computer (which can be upgraded if needed).
Have you seen VORON V24? 600x600x600 mm fully enclosed VORON printer. Prototype was showcased at RMRRF about 7 months ago, and now on SMRRF in about 3 weeks will be revealed more final version which will be released next year. Maybe you can get some inspiration.

4 extra stepper motors and belts are cheaper than quality 500 mm motors with integrated leadscrews or ballscrews. Computation is absolutely not a problem for Klipper since motion gets calculated on more powerful computer (which can be upgraded if needed).
Have you seen VORON V24? 600x600x600 mm fully enclosed VORON printer. Prototype was showcased at RMRRF about 7 months ago, and now on SMRRF in about 3 weeks will be revealed more final version which will be released next year. Maybe you can get some inspiration.
I reviewed the 600x600 model. I wasn't very fond of the 2.4 model. Long PTFE tube causes many problems. It's actually annoying that when I have to print TPU, the prints are always interrupted. also, with two different print heads I will be able to use another filament along with HIPS. Overloading the nozzle floor with the flying gantry will prevent rapid printing. A fixed print head stage works better for me. With 4 lead screws and a nema 17 motor, I have a carrying capacity of approximately 80Kg, provided that the motor has a power of 50Ncm. If the capacity is not enough, I add another belt system to the engine. I need to allocate more resources to multi print head and extruder motor control. I have to choose between separating the 4 motors for the Z axis or using them for the multi-head system.
Maybe my design will come out next year :)
Can you help me access sldprt and sldasm files?