What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

2.85mm hotend

Jerazmus

Question. Has anyone in here done a 2.85mm hotend conversion on the voron? I bought a bunch of rolls by mistake and didn’t look at them before the return window. Didn’t know if anyone else went down this road of upping the Extruder and hotend to accommodate this filament. Thoughts??

I've seen very few people on the Voron discord server doing that (in fact I can remember only one by name). It's doable, but you have limited options: basically the V6 hotend and the Orbiter 1.5 extruder, both in the 2.85mm filament version. Trianglelab store on Aliexpress have them.

Yep, pretty much what Vinny wrote. Orbiter 1.5 can be converted to Galileo 1, my guess is it would work with 2.85 version too? May need to adjust bowden tube holes size.
V6 is in 2.85 mm version and for example CHT is uneversal for both filament sizes so there's a bit of extra flow.

Can't you send the spools back?
How many spools have you bought to make it worth to switch to 2.85 :3 Not only conversion time, but also the time it takes to get a decent print profile again.

Can't you send the spools back?
How many spools have you bought to make it worth to switch to 2.85 :3 Not only conversion time, but also the time it takes to get a decent print profile again.

2.85 mm spools are sold for laughable prices on sales, and some are even handed out for free on reprap festivals or such. If you can sacrifice one machine to have 2.85 mm toolhead for printing it, that could be useful.

Dragonburner has support for Orbiter 1.5 as well as 2.85 mm v6. So there's at least a toolhead, albeit untested.