What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Adjusting for Z-height between beds/filaments

m00dawg

Printer Model
Voron 2.4
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
I apologize as I know this is surely a common question but I've been banging my head on this one and haven't yet found a good explanation while searching. I've calibrated my Z position_endstop for PLA and the Honeybadger smooth PEI sheet. Just so happens I get amazing results with position_endstop=-1.0. For the Honeybadger textured PEI, however, that seems to be too high. I tried using "SET_GCODE_OFFSET Z=0.1" but that seems to have made it worse? I get confused as to which values are reversed or not (that is when negative values mean closer to the bed and when positive values do). Either way, I don't think I want to set a relative offset because if I change build plates without rebooting it could be easy to forget which is which? I think I'd like to just hard set position_endstop to whatever build plate I'm using and set a macro in OctoKlipper to use that?

Is there a suggested way to do that? And, follow-up, which direction would the values be for whatever solution that would be?

I know one of these answers is Klicky/Tap but I actually prefer touchless solutions and was looking at the Beacon which I may move to at some point. For now I'm on the boring 'ole stock OMRON probe.

A bit self update, it does seem like SET_GCODE_OFFSET Z=... should decrease if I want the nozzle closer to the bed. At least that's what it seems like from my testing.

Looks like
Code:
SET_GCODE_OFFSET Z=-0.100
along with bumping my bed temp up did the trick. In re-reading how it works, I think it's safe if it accidentally gets run multiple times which means I can just set a macro for it when I'm changing sheets. I'll need to do a bit more testing with this but I think this will work well enough.