What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Camera options for 300mm Trident

Leonti

What are the best options for a chamber camera for Trident?
I've seen some USB modules based on OV5640 and some based on IMX179.
Are people using them?
If so, would it better to get a module based on OV5640 or IMX179?
What camera angle is enough to capture the bed but not too wide to have distorted image. Also, I don't need to see the side panels, just the print :)
Is autofocus useful or static focus is better since the camera doesn't move and unlike V2 the top of the print doesn't change, since the printed part is going down and I'd be most interested in the nozzle-level image?

I'm using a Logitech C930 (not the C920) in the Trident. Field of view is pretty ok, I'm maybe missing an inch or so in the back, remixing the mount to change the mounting angle a bit should be able to fix that.
In general I find that the fixed focus gives me better results than autofocus as that is constantly trying to chase the pretty quick toolhead.

Hi, people stop using those OV camera modules - they don't like heat very much, start getting dark purple image and eventually die. I am not sure about the IMX. I have also seen RPi cameras on side corner extrusion, either rear or front.

Very popular camera seems to be Logitech C920, you should be able to find mount for it pretty easily. When it comes to auto or fixed focus - it probably depends, but with autofocus toolhead swinging around may case image to constantly refocus and hard to watch.

I'm using a Logitech C930 (not the C920) in the Trident. Field of view is pretty ok, I'm maybe missing an inch or so in the back, remixing the mount to change the mounting angle a bit should be able to fix that.
In general I find that the fixed focus gives me better results than autofocus as that is constantly trying to chase the pretty quick toolhead.

Could you share your remix and where you put it if you don't mind?