What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Crooked prints

daduke

Printer Model
Siboor V0.2
Extruder Type
Other
Cooling Type
Other
Dear Voron masters,

I built a 0.2 (Siboor kit) and it works beautifully. I have one problem however: some prints (but not all!) come out crooked - they're not straight in neither X nor Y. I don't think it's frame related (since others are perfectly fine), and the combination of X and Y makes me think it's a problem in either A or B. I can't tell which (kind of) prints trigger it, and I've had crooked prints succeed in a second or third attempt. What I've tried/investigated so far:

- A and B belt tension seem fine and very close to each other (both 110 Hz tuning and tensiometer)
- I've swapped out A and B TMCs, no dice
- increased/decreased motor current
- doesn't seem to be print speed related (at least not in an obvious way)
- general mechanical inspection, the motion system "seems fine"

It's as if the printer was missing individual steps, but always leaning in positive X and negative Y.

The pictures show two identical parts back to back and front to front.

I'm a bit at a loss right now and would highly appreciate any ideas where to investigate further. Thanks a lot.

-Christian

Attachments

• crooked1.jpg
    crooked1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 6
  • crooked2.jpg
    crooked2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Check for bindings in the bearings of the motion system at some positions.
  • Check if belts are touching something that they shouldn't, if they are riding the bearings/idlers/pulleys at the right position.
  • Not that I think this is a reason, but how much cooling are you using? By the way, which material are you trying to print? You didn't mentioned on your post.

thanks for your suggestions!

• Check for bindings in the bearings of the motion system at some positions.
I have no reference how easy the head should move, but it seems ok and uniform

• Check if belts are touching something that they shouldn't, if they are riding the bearings/idlers/pulleys at the right position.
yeah I did that and found no problems. I've also redone a good part of the motion system.

Also: shouldn't increasing the stepper current make a difference this these two cases?

• Not that I think this is a reason, but how much cooling are you using? By the way, which material are you trying to print? You didn't mentioned on your post.
it happens for both PLA and ABS. I use little to no cooling for ABS and the usual lot for PLA.

thanks!

yes, I have a clicky and did a mesh level. First layers are fine.
Clicky and mesh leveling are not mechanical leveling on a Zero. (At least, not unless you have a triple belted or triple lead screw Z conversion.)

If the bed is mechanically tilted, a mesh leveling will make sure your first layer sticks - but your Z travel will not be perpendicular to the plane of the bed - giving X/Y skew to the prints as they grow in height.

Clicky and mesh leveling are not mechanical leveling on a Zero. (At least, not unless you have a triple belted or triple lead screw Z conversion.)

If the bed is mechanically tilted, a mesh leveling will make sure your first layer sticks - but your Z travel will not be perpendicular to the plane of the bed - giving X/Y skew to the prints as they grow in height.
you are correct of course. What I meant to say: I used mesh leveling via clicky to adjust the bed as perpendicular as possible. As mentioned in the first post, I also get straight prints from time to time, which tells me it's not a "the whole printer is crooked" problem.

I might have a possible lead: maybe I went a bit overboard with the RGB lights. Since disabling a bunch of LED effects, prints seem to be straight again. To be confirmed...

after a few successful (straight) prints, I now had another crooked one, with the LED effects off. I really don't know what's causing this. If it were a mechanical problem, I'd expect it to occur in both directions, but it's either perfectly straight or leaning in positive X (and negative Y).

hmmm..... What puzzles me is that it is a steadily growing error. A layer shift or step loss would generally be more sudden and pronounced.