What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Diagnosing random shutdowns of new Voron 2.4R2

BrokenPoet

Printer Model
Formbot Voron 2.4R2
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
I am just finishing the build of my first Voron and have been trying to diagnose random shutdowns that predominantly occur during prints (I think I may have caught one that was not during a print as well.) My setup is as follows:
  • Base Formbot kit
  • Orange Pi 4 LTS (Running Armbian Jammy)
  • Octopus 1.1 (using the USB to CAN bridge)
  • EBB36 Tap Stealthburner (CANbus)
The shutdowns involve a loss of CANBUS comms, related to a loss of USB comms between the Orange PI and the Octopus. They can happen at any point during a print. My troubleshooting steps so far have been:
  1. Checking continuity & resistance of CANBUS wiring to EBB36.
  2. Suspecting an EBB36 temperature related issue I mounted a cooling fan over the EBB36 - During ABS printing the EBB36 does not exceed 52C
  3. Lowered my running current to the EBB36 Extruder to further limit the potential for heat issues (I'm at 0.4A now - running fine)
  4. Suspecting an Orange Pi temperature related issue I mounted a cooling fan over the OPi - Temp does not exceed 36C during printing
  5. Octopus is directly behind the skirt cooling fans - temp doesn't exceed 35C
  6. Suspecting a USB cable issue I swapped cables (no effect) and added a ferrite core to the cable (no effect). The USB 5V jumper is removed from the Octopus so I don't think 5V passthrough could be a culprit.
  7. Removing the Orange Pi controlled relay to the 24V PSU and hardwiring the PSU on (just in case the relay was chattering)
  8. Checked output voltages of both 5V and 24V PSUs - adjusted them to slightly above their nominal voltage to rule out voltage droop (5.2V and 24.2V respectively)
  9. Running a 'SPEED TEST" while at temperature several times to see if it was a very intermittent cable short - no effect (but I'm not skipping steps, so I have that going for me.)
I'm at my wits end with this and could use some fresh troubleshooting advice from the community. I've included a file with a portion of my Klippy.log and some terminal output from the Orange Pi (dmesg, lsusb). I can provide additional files/output based on your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Edit 10APR23:
Additional troubleshooting:
  1. Replaced the Orange Pi 4 LTS with a Raspberry Pi 3 - Same failure mode
  2. Tried a brand new shielded USB cable between the Raspberry Pi and the Octopus - Same failure mode
  3. Replaced the CANbus umbilical with twisted pair - Same failure mode

It's down to either a hardware issue with the Octopus, the EBB36, or a Klipper issue. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Kosh CAN Troubleshooting.txt
    36.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
It's been a few and I am going off memory so keep that in mind. What is the communication speeds you are using from the Octopus to the CAN board?

It has to match all they way though. Also some boards cannot hand fast communication so if you are running 500K you might need to drop lower or higher.
Maybe instead of CAN bridge you need to run a TOP hat? I opted our of running CAN bridge for some reason I just don't recall what the issue was.

Hope that makes any sense?

It's been a few and I am going off memory so keep that in mind. What is the communication speeds you are using from the Octopus to the CAN board?

It has to match all they way though. Also some boards cannot hand fast communication so if you are running 500K you might need to drop lower or higher.
Maybe instead of CAN bridge you need to run a TOP hat? I opted our of running CAN bridge for some reason I just don't recall what the issue was.

Hope that makes any sense?
I'm running at 500k with no dropped/delayed packets when things are running (until the loss of the CAN/USB link). Both the Octopus and EBB36 klipper firmware were set to 500k at build time. I swapped out the Orange Pi for a Raspberry Pi 3 with the same failure mode, continuing to troubleshoot my way down the line.

I'm running at 500k with no dropped/delayed packets when things are running (until the loss of the CAN/USB link). Both the Octopus and EBB36 klipper firmware were set to 500k at build time. I swapped out the Orange Pi for a Raspberry Pi 3 with the same failure mode, continuing to troubleshoot my way down the line.
Okay since the Board creating the communication is changed and the issue continues, I would look at the EBB, or maybe the cable. What is the cable you are using to connect to the EBB?

I installed a V2.1 U2C instead of using the Octopus for my CAN solution and it works as expected now, two long prints completed. (Still using the Octopus, just not the CAN Bridge.) Not sure if it was Klipper or some odd intermittent hardware failure, but I'm glad that it's working!

Ich had a simmiliar issue on my Voron 2.4 with CANBus.
I could trace it back to a bad crimp on the Molex-connector, which connects my EBB36 to the U2C.

Most of the time, there where no issues, but sometimes CAC-conenction got lost.

If you still use the same CAN-cable, please double check.

(sry for my bad english)