What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Fix for orange pi 3 lts freezing

Chachacha

I had this issue with the factory klipper based os that came with my orange pi and then again after doing a clean install of mainsail os on the orange pi. It would run fine and keep printing but occasionally I'd stop being able to ping it or use mainsail and I'd have to wait for the print to finish and then power cycle everything.

I have the OS installed on the eMMC so this may be an issue specific to that, or maybe even just something fishy with my particular unit. Anyway what made things stable was to disable the zram services which I think flush writes to disk on an interval, don't quote me on that.

What worked for me was to run sudo systemctl disable armbian-ramlog.service armbian-zram-config.service and modify /etc/default/armbian-zramconfig changing true to false for enable. The factory installed os replaced armbian with orangepi so I think you'd run sudo systemctl disable orangepi-ramlog.service orangepi-zram-config.service and edit /etc/default/orangepi-zramconfig.

Hi there!

So, i have the same OP 3 LTS, mainsailOS installed on EMMC, and the random freezes was driving me nuts!
I was able to edit armbian-zramconfig but both services weren't running.
Have you encountered more freezes on your system?

In my case it's super random. Sometimes freezes after a couple of hours in stand-by, others after a print, and others just afer booting up!!!
If the services are not running, there's must be another thing, but I don't know where to look

Hi there!

So, i have the same OP 3 LTS, mainsailOS installed on EMMC, and the random freezes was driving me nuts!
I was able to edit armbian-zramconfig but both services weren't running.
Have you encountered more freezes on your system?

In my case it's super random. Sometimes freezes after a couple of hours in stand-by, others after a print, and others just afer booting up!!!
If the services are not running, there's must be another thing, but I don't know where to look
I have had it again so I guess my solution wasn’t a silver bullet, but I had seen the pi seem to lock up when flushing writes to the disk.

I did find some discussions about the problem here and here. The first link is just a real bummer with no solutions, the second link suggests writing a cronjob to restart the network if the wifi is seen to be down and I have that in place. I haven't seen the problem in a while so maybe it works, who knows. I have a hunch that rebooting the pi with a "sudo reboot" can even help.

Oh, I see, your Pi looses connection only! Well, I'm F'd then. My OP 3 LTS just freezes. I have some Led animations that get freezed when my Pi dies! Can't control the LCD panel, connect to SSH or login to the web server. Can't find any related event on the system logs. I'm trying to rule out the EMMC by booting from SD card, but it's just so sloooooooow