What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Galileo2 Release

120decibell

Administrator
Staff member
Voron Owner
Sometime cool things come out of the Voron team that aren’t Voron releases. Voron Crew member JaredC01 has released a major update to the Galileo system that isn’t just for Voron! Here is the announcement in his words.

After nearly a year in development, Galileo 2 is ready for the public. At this time, Galileo 2 Extruder, Galileo 2 Z Drive, and Galileo 2 Standalone are available for immediate download via GitHub: https://github.com/JaredC01/Galileo2

Kits for Galileo 2 (both Extruder and Z Drive) are available starting today from LDO resellers. Please check with LDO if you're unsure whether your reseller carries Galileo 2.

This has been a long journey so far, and it's just getting ramped up! I'd like to thank the members of the Voron community that have helped with the project, giving invaluable feedback that has lead to where we are today. Along with all of the feedback, I'd like to personally thank a few individuals for their additional involvement:

Thank you HartK for assistance with creating the manuals for Galileo 2's projects (G2E is ready now, with G2Z and G2SA available soon), as well as all of the awesome renders that have been shared around.

Thank you to Le0n for assistance in creating the Galileo 2 logo (and taking the nagging nit-picks from me in stride to make it :chefkiss: ).

Thank you to LillianaMirrors, Leddhedd, Thor, and HartK for the ideas and projects surrounding Galileo 2 Standalone.

And a final thank you to Voron Design and the community for making cool things that make people want to make more cool things.

Last edited:
The GitHub page has the info you're looking for. If you have any questions directly after reading over the GitHub page, let me know!
Hi, Jared! Welcome to Voron! If you have any questions since you are such a noob, please let us know and we will tell you the basics like, "What is plastic?", or "why is the pointy thing getting hot?" :)

Well, I wrote this out of genuine curiosity, not because I can't be bothered to read a link. I read the gitlab page before I wrote my post.

It doesn't say what galileo is, what it is used for, why you would like to use it. What I'm looking for is an introduction. It does talk about galileo in comparison to other things though.

Dave, your post above is rather sarcastic, and I think it was mean and uncalled for. If you don't want to help me understand, that's ok, but why write things like you did?

Last edited:
Well, I wrote this out of genuine curiosity, not because I can't be bothered to read a link.

I read the gitlab page before I wrote my post. It doesn't say what galileo is, what it is used for, why you would like to use it. There is no description. It only talks about galileo in comparison to other things.
Click on one of the projects, and read the README.md file in it. Every project tells you exactly what it's for. The overall Galileo 2 information is on the home page, and is then further broken down into projects.

1694662187435.png

1694662210493.png

1694662248203.png

Dave, your post above is rather sarcastic, and I think it was mean and uncalled for. If you don't want to help me understand, that's ok, but why write things like you did?
Hello, this was not aimed at you. Jared had been in VORON crew for very long time, helping with development. But registered on the forum just now (I still have to approve his posts). Dave (another crew member) was poking fun of him as if he was new to 3D printing, not you. Sorry if it came out that way.

Thank you Sanity Agathion

My apologies Dave

@JaredC01 Ok, those screenshots does contain what I was looking for and it's great. It's unfortunate that I couldn't find them before

Hello, this was not aimed at you. Jared had been in VORON crew for very long time, helping with development. But registered on the forum just now (I still have to approve his posts). Dave (another crew member) was poking fun of him as if he was new to 3D printing, not you. Sorry if it came out that way.
Actually I've been registered for nearly a year, I just never posted... You only beat me by 2 days on registration. 🤪

I take it that since there is no BOM listed that the parts can currently only be purchased in kit form from LDO? Is there any plan for the parts to eventually be available from more sources than just LDO? I have nothing against them, but I hate being beholden to a single company for parts/spares.

I take it that since there is no BOM listed that the parts can currently only be purchased in kit form from LDO? Is there any plan for the parts to eventually be available from more sources than just LDO? I have nothing against them, but I hate being beholden to a single company for parts/spares.
Unfortunately that's probably be the case with Galileo 2, as it needs a 9 teeth pinion on the stepper motor, and that's a custom part not available elsewhere. The other parts of the gearbox probably could be printed, but you gotta wait for the CAD to be released.

With LDO kit you receive everything needed to assemble extruder(s) or a Z drive.

@JaredC01 What I need to do with my old Galileo 1, will it be supported by SB sometime? or Galileo 2 just killed this idea.

Last edited:
@JaredC01 Thanks for your work on Galileo 2 and releasing this to the public!
I especially like the larger contact area with the filament, as this removes one more variable in printer tuning (filament slippage)

Since you went ahead and designed a custom drive gear, how did you end up with 16mm rather than for example 23mm like the Prusa Nextruder? Is it simply space constraint? No advantage to going even larger? (I'm simply curious)

Edit:
Watched this stream and loved hearing about the eccentricity results and more.
Interesting to hear you where planning to have 2 idler bearings initially but that didn't work with the smaller drive gear. Which I believe would be down to getting the optimal mm/s extrusion to motor rotation.
My main question would then be, how come the design was not mirrored to the Nextruder which allows for a larger drive gear?

Last edited:
I'm sure I will be upgrading my printers to use the new extruder in time but for now they work fine.