What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Help request

Aeronut

Newby here - hoping for a little help with my 2.4 350 build - having struggled with several build hurdles along the way, I now seem stuck and out of ideas with the Z homing setup - X and Y axes home no problem, but every time I try to home the Z axis, I get this error - Move out of range: "-10.000 -10.000 10.000 [0.000]" I've tried changing various parameters in the .cfg file, but the error always seems to come up the same. I'm sure there's a simple answer, but it's eluding me right now. Build is 'standard' with inductive probe for Z axis. Thanks for any help!

G.

Have you gone through this page of the setup, it should walk you right through. https://docs.vorondesign.com/build/startup/
Well, I thought I did, but I have to confess that it got me a little confused. Doing a 'query_endstops' shows x and y as open, but Z as triggered - don't know if that's correct or not, as there's no Z endstop as such to trigger. The inductive probe is shown as working when I query that. Also the step 'Z endstop pin location' doesn't appear to be possible, so is that step just skipped?
Thanks!

I am totally new, so dont expect wonders. But isnt this maybe caused by interference on the Z probe. Did you use protective tape on the sensor? Maybe it is to close to the bottom or the sides, Or something else is triggering the probe.

Attachments

• Probe_Insulation.jpg
    Probe_Insulation.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for trying to help. The probe appears to be working correctly when I use the 'query_probe' command, so I don't think my problems are caused by what you suggest, though I've been wrong before!

As NoGuru suggested, I've been working though that page of the setup that he pointed to and by changing the offsets, the error has gone - result!
However, when I try to home the z axis, the nozzle always crashes into the bed - even if I just put a piece of steel under the probe whilst the head is moving down, the head doesn't stop - it's like the triggered signal from the probe is being ignored - must be something I'm doing wrong, but I haven't found it yet!

G.

Check that your probes are configured for the correct input on the board. If you follow the official v2.4 instructions and use the example printer.cfg you have to change the input pin(s).

Well, I thought I did, but I have to confess that it got me a little confused. Doing a 'query_endstops' shows x and y as open, but Z as triggered - don't know if that's correct or not, as there's no Z endstop as such to trigger. The inductive probe is shown as working when I query that. Also the step 'Z endstop pin location' doesn't appear to be possible, so is that step just skipped?
Thanks!
The Z endstop is the probe. I know it's a bit confusing at first but you need to follow each step as it is listed in the setup documentation. Nothing should be skipped. The only part that is "custom" is what pins you use on the control board.

Make sure when you are testing you move the gantry up high enough to home X and Y and when you home Z, put your hand it front of it to trigger it.

Post our printer.cfg and what boards you are using.

Well, I think I've just about got it clear in my addled mind now. What threw me was the fact that the probe wasn't acting as the endstop and that a seperate switch was used for that - while the switch was supplied in the kit which I bought, there was no cable for it, so I wrongly assumed that it wasn't needed. All working now, though I've run into another problem which currently has me baffled - running a quad_gantry_level causes the print head to drive down and crash into the bed - probably something I've done wrong again!
Thanks to those who have helped.
G.

Have you done a PROBE_CALIBRATE and then Save_Config? Do this lowering the nozzle with a piece of paper under it until it just grabs the paper.

This will tell the probe how far off the bed you want the print to start

Thanks for helping an old git. :) I thought I'd done all that the first time that I went through the setup, but maybe I missed something. Anyway, yesterday, I went through all the setup steps again and finally got past the QGL stage. On to the next problem now! Tried to calibrate the extruder - first try shows the extruded filament length to be about 60mm rather than the 100mm that it should be. Changed the 'rotation distance' from the default 22.xxxxx to around 15 - tried again and there didn't seem to be an difference in the extruded length. Thought maybe that the extruder was slipping on the filament, so took it all apart, checked and re-assembled it - tried again with no difference. Changed the 'rotation distance' to a silly figure of 100 - tried again = almost the same length extruded! Reduced the 'rotation distance' to 10, tried that, with no discernable difference in the extruded length. Have concluded that I'm doing something wrong, but haven't yet figured out what! Anyone got any ideas? It may eventually dawn on me if I keep trying!
G.

Not a silly question at all! Well, after editing the file, I always clicked on 'save and restart', so I've assumed that's the correct thing to do?
G.

Finally twigged! In Mainsail, when you edit, save and restart the 'printer.cfg' file, the newly modified file is saved with a filename that reflects date, time etc., so that the restart still uses the OLD 'printer.cfg' file. The solution is to use 'save and close', which saves the file as 'printer.cfg' and then do a manual restart. Extruder calibration now successfully carried out and am VERY relieved that I can now move on to the challenges of producing my first print - watch this space!
G.