What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Just ordered a LDO 2.4R2 350mm kit. Advice?

Bought it from Matter Hackers for their Black Friday sale, so I don't even have it yet, but I wanted to know if there was any advice for before I even get started?

I ordered the TAP kit with it, along with a Rpi from Matter Hackers.
I ordered 3 spools of ASA from 3DXTech. Went with a red frame, blue primary, black secondary colors :D
It comes with a Revo hotend.

I currently have a Prusa MK3s with MMU3, and a modded Mini, and I was tinkering with printers prior to these, including a home built unit running an old duet and RepRap fw (now is a pile of parts in a box), so I'm no where new to the 3D printing game. I also have a resin printer, but I haven't fired it up on close to a year I suppose.

Regarding a filament sensor, I went ahead and ordered the BTT smart filament sensor. Is that a good choice? I'm honestly surprised that Voron doesn't have a filament runout sensor as standard.

Regarding a filament sensor, I went ahead and ordered the BTT smart filament sensor. Is that a good choice? I'm honestly surprised that Voron doesn't have a filament runout sensor as standard.
I use it as well. It has saved some prints due to a stuck filament spool a few times.

Since you are not new to printers, the CAN toolhead saves a lot of time and complexity. There are a few step-by-step guides to get it up and running.

That aside, I would peruse the various mods for the 2.4. There are some like the rocknroll that are really convenient for a bigger printer like the 350. Others are bling. The other mods that makes a lot of sense (IMHO) is the Side entry exhaust housing and the 270 degree hinges.

Side entry:

RockNRoll

If you want to do a CAN toolhead, then relocate the Z chain.

and use PG7 mounts for the umbilical.

PG7 at the toolhead:

Of course blue thread locker on the grub screws, but should all screws have a re-usable coating like vibra-tite?
I did vibra-tite on everything that threaded into metal, though mine was going to have to make a heck of a transit once assembled, but I don't think it could hurt for the average Joe to use it either.

So, I just did basically the same thing. V2 350 kit from MH. I did get the FYSETC aluminum parts and am gearing up to print the remaining parts. I have an enclosed printer which does quite well with ABS. My question is:

In printing the ABS printer parts, what's the best way to get parts that require the least rework? Besides following the assembly manual's instruction for print settings.

My thoughts...
  • Is it ok to print a thicker and wider line width on the first layer to get better adhesion?
  • Should I do elephant foot correction on the first layers?
  • Should I slightly under extrude (I think that the test cube recommendation is 92%)?
  • Is there a difficult part that I should print first and measure/test fit to tune up before diving into the whole job?
Thanks!!

So, I just did basically the same thing. V2 350 kit from MH. I did get the FYSETC aluminum parts and am gearing up to print the remaining parts. I have an enclosed printer which does quite well with ABS. My question is:

In printing the ABS printer parts, what's the best way to get parts that require the least rework? Besides following the assembly manual's instruction for print settings.

My thoughts...
  • Is it ok to print a thicker and wider line width on the first layer to get better adhesion?
  • Should I do elephant foot correction on the first layers?
  • Should I slightly under extrude (I think that the test cube recommendation is 92%)?
  • Is there a difficult part that I should print first and measure/test fit to tune up before diving into the whole job?
Thanks!!
VORON manual on page 4 (usually) tells how to print VORON parts. Those were made with ABS in mind - meaning tolerances for holes etc. account for some filament shrinkage. Parts are already exported in correct orientation for printing, no need trying to figure out how to place them. They were made to be printed on widest variety of printers people try to print ABS on, so don't stress too much about them :) You will do good.

For elephant foot, there is mandatory 45-degree 0.4 mm overhang on every VORON printed part.

The most difficult part may probably be Clockwork 2 extruder parts, which need to fit into each other, and may test some overhang and bridging capabilities of your printer (turn part cooling fan for ABS/ASA, even 15-20% or even more depending on chamber temperature will be of great help with printing those).

As for flow, slicers tend to overeextrude ABS, plus Prusa Slicer has that 5% flow reduction related to some Bondtech gears math. For testing fitment, I usually print this part, and test it with F695 bearing and few M3 hexnuts. It's a short ~25 minute print on slow Ender or Prusa. You can see and feel top surface for overextrusion. If you can shove F695 bearing and hexnuts in without the use of excessive force, and they do not fall out their own, you are good to go.

I have prints on my MK3 for the Voron, so this project is starting in earnest. Won't be super fast though, I have to balance printer time and work time with Voron time :D
Anyway, for the config, (jumping ahead, I know), can I configure the chamber thermister to indicate whether to activate the exhaust fan at a certain temp easily enough to avoid overheating the chamber? There enough pins available on the Octopus board?

Yes, there are enough pins on an octopus.

The code requires:
  • Section to control the fan and thermistor - a [temperature_fan Chamber]
  • Slicer passthrough for the chamber temp
  • Start code to change the default chamber tempt to the higher one for the print, then back down to default to pull it down.

Printer.cfg code:

Code:
#####################################################################
#    Chamber Fan Control
#####################################################################

[temperature_fan Chamber]
# Printing chamber exhaust fan
pin: PD13 # Fan 3
max_power: 0.8
shutdown_speed: 0.0
kick_start_time: 0.75
cycle_time:0.01
off_below:0.3
sensor_type: Generic 3950
sensor_pin: PF5 # TH1
min_temp: 0.0
max_temp: 70
target_temp: 35
max_delta: 1.25
control: watermark
gcode_id: C

Slicer passthrough, Cura in this case.

Code:
print_start EXTRUDER={material_print_temperature_layer_0} BED={material_bed_temperature_layer_0} CHAMBER={build_volume_temperature}

Print Start

Code:
[gcode_macro PRINT_START]
gcode:
    # This part fetches data from your slicer. Such as bed temp, extruder temp, Chamber temp and size of your printer.
    {% set target_bed = params.BED|int %}
    {% set target_extruder = params.EXTRUDER|default("260")|int %}
    {% set target_Chamber = params.CHAMBER|default("50")|int %}
    {% set x_wait = printer.toolhead.axis_maximum.x|float / 2 %}
    {% set y_wait = printer.toolhead.axis_maximum.y|float / 2 %}

M141 S{target_Chamber}       # Sets exhaust fan and Chamber targets

Macro 141

Code:
###################################
##
##     Chamber Temp Control
##
##  https://github.com/zellneralex/klipper_config/blob/master/fan.cfg
##  https://github.com/claudermilk/TridentBackup/blob/master/fans.cfg
##
###################################

[gcode_macro M141]
description: Set temperature of Chamber fan
gcode: SET_TEMPERATURE_FAN_TARGET temperature_fan=Chamber target={params.S|default(0)}