What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Panzarkatten's Voron V0.1 to Tri-Zero/BoxZero/0.2 rebuild

# Voron V0.1 to Tri-Zero rebuild

## What is a Tri-Zero?
Basically its a Voron v0.1 but with three belted Z instead of a single motor with integrated leadscrew. More information about the project can be found here:

## The plan

### V0.1885
My Voron v0 in its current state. Based on a formbot kit with printed structural parts in black PrimaSelect ABS+ on a Prusa mk3s+ and the outer accent parts printed in Prusament Anthracite PETG. This was my first Voron build while I waited for the v2.4 kit to be delivered and now after building it, the v2.4 and also a Trident I have learned so much. So I feel like there are room for improvements on this machine but where is the fun in just rebuilding it as a standard v0.1? When I got tired of waiting for the v0.2 release I decided a Tri-Zero build would be fun, especially after the Tap announcement. The concept of a Tap (or in this case a "boop") would make the three belted Z more viable in a small machine as the v0 is. More so the no longer need of a dockable probe for the Z tilt adjustment.

1668728969499.png

### First mockup
This is the first mockup version of the build in Fusion 360. I have some plans to modify some of the printed parts. The lower front for example could need some more work to look a little nicer. I would also like to replace the pattern on the side skirts with the more traditional Voron hex pattern. The top hat I'm not sure if I'll stick with the og hat or if I'll go with an extrusion based one. The plan right now is to reuse the black frame but I am contemplating wether to buy a LDO space gray frame or not instead.

Tri-Zero.png

## Parts

### Part list
- [x] 3x Nema17 39mm stepper motors
- [x] 3x ~500mm GT2 Belt
- [x] 3x GT2 16T Pulleys
- [x] 1x MGN7H Linear rails for Z No longer needed since the Y rails will also be replaced with Hiwin
- [x] 2x HIWIN MGN7H Linear rails for Y
- [x] 1x HIWIN MGN9C Linear rail for X
- [x] 6x F623 Bearings
- [ ] 3x Spacers for bed
- [x] 1x MCU with minimum 5 drivers
- [x] 1x BTT EBB36 CAN board
- [x] 1x BTT U2C CAN interface
- [x] E3D Revo Voron hotend
- [x] 6x LDO Nutbar for 1515 extrusions
- [x] LDO Fastener kit with black screws
- [ ] "Boop"

### Motors
With regards to space and holding force 39mm Nema17 steppers was choosen. Ended up going with three stepperonline 17HS15-1504S-X1

### MCU
In total 6 drivers will be needed, A, B, Z1, Z2, Z3 and E. Since I will be using a CAN toolhead board the MCU will only need 5 drivers. After some searching I landed on a used SKR 1.4 Turbo. It included 4xTMC2209 drivers and I have one extra lying around from a previous CAN conversion.

### Hotend
The v0 is currently equipped with a Revo Voron hotend and the plan is to stick with that for the rebuild.

### CAN
I will be using an ebb36 with an u2c from Bigtreetech that will be salvaged from my Trident when the fly sb2040 arrives.

### Rails
The Tri-Zero needs two extra MGN7H 150mm rails for the two extra Z. As recommended by the designer of the Tri-Zero the X rails will be upgraded to a MGN9C rail and the old one repurposed for Z. One additional MGN7H was bought.

### Filament
For this build I will be using ASA filament from 3DO. Base color will be anthracite and the accent ratrig green.

### Boop(?)

TBA

### MISC
Belts

Idler bearings

Pulleys

## Cost
I will sum up the costs later when it's to late to back out of the project.

## Updates

### 2022-11-18
Gathering parts. Main parts sorted and the last smaller pieces will probably be procured within a week or so. Might start printing parts this weekend.

### 2022-11-19
Test print of the mini AB cowling with the 3do Ratrig green ASA
20221117_210406003_iOS (Large).jpg

### 2022-11-21
Ordered the last parts so now everything needed should be on the way. Only thing missing is the spacers for the bed but I have some ideas for that.
Also fiddled around in Fusion an added the more traditional Voron hex pattern on the side skirts. Will also figure out something for the front later.
Tri-Zero hex skirts.PNG

### 2023-01-16
Slowly everything is starting to come together. All needed parts have arrived and almost all parts (I hope) is printed including the new mini SB.
One big change have been made to the plan as well. I will go BoxZero after all. Even though the new top hat on the v0.2 is better then the old I really don't like the top hat and I do prefer a full frame. The reason I didn't want to go that route before was that I thought that if I'm going BoxZero I might as well do the full Tri-Zerp Plus50 with it's bigger size. But with that most of the hardware and rails would need to be bought again etc. But a standard BoxZero is a good middle ground where I can keep all the rails and everything. Ordered some 360mm makerbeam extrusions since that was the closest size they had precut.

20230114_215047455_iOS (Large).jpg
20230114_215517191_iOS (Large).jpg
20230115_174206699_iOS (Large).jpg

Got to have a matching hex tray of course :)

Last edited:
Nice log! I miss those from the early days. Good color choice too.

You sure you don't wanna go all the way, to BoxZero though? 🤔
I have considered that and decided not to, for now. The goal now is just to get the three belted Z in place and reuse as much of the old hardware as possible. I started looking at going all in but then it just ended up being a completely new machine basically.

Have to leave room in the wallet for a Salad Fork as well 🤔

Are you looking for a particular improvement over the stock build? My v0 prints pretty good but hard to get rid of some elephant's foot and still have good bed adhesion. Been wondering if the standard bed mount is to blame...

Are you looking for a particular improvement over the stock build? My v0 prints pretty good but hard to get rid of some elephant's foot and still have good bed adhesion. Been wondering if the standard bed mount is to blame...

I haven't had any issue with bed adhesion on my v0. Neither with the included textured sheet or on a smooth Ultem PEI sheet.
I think the biggest reason for the rebuild is mostly because it's fun and secondly because the qualit-of-life of z-tilt adjust vs manual bed leveling.

Did a test print of the mini AB cowling with the ratrig green filament.. it's a very nice green/yellow-ish neon color!

20221117_210406003_iOS (Large).jpg

I haven't had any issue with bed adhesion on my v0. Neither with the included textured sheet or on a smooth Ultem PEI sheet.
I think the biggest reason for the rebuild is mostly because it's fun and secondly because the qualit-of-life of z-tilt adjust vs manual bed leveling.

Did a test print of the mini AB cowling with the ratrig green filament.. it's a very nice green/yellow-ish neon color!

View attachment 317
Came out nice! You are right, worth doing just for the fun of it and QoL improvement.

Ordered the nut bars today... and my finger slipped so I also got two hiwin mgn7 rails for Y since the one on X will be hiwin as well sooo... and a fastener kit with black screws.

### 2022-11-21
Ordered the last parts so now everything needed should be here or on the way. Only thing missing is the spacers for the bed but I have some ideas for that.
Also fiddled around in Fusion an added the more traditional Voron hex pattern on the side skirts. Will also figure out something for the front later.
Tri-Zero hex skirts.PNG

Fun! I'm currently wainting for parts to do a similar conversion. I'm going BoxZero too, though.
Nice! Would be fun to follow if you created a project thread for it :)

BoxZero would be nice. The v0 size is a challenge. But for this project not to get out of control I decided to stick with its current size. But who knows… things can change :)

Nice! Would be fun to follow if you created a project thread for it :)

BoxZero would be nice. The v0 size is a challenge. But for this project not to get out of control I decided to stick with its current size. But who knows… things can change :)
I was thinking about creating a build log, we'll see if I find enough time :)

Haha, they often do. I've been having issues with the umbilical hitting the top hat and messing up everything, so I started looking at BoxZero - My plans evolved from there. Now its Tri-Zero, BoxZero, CAN toolhead, change my huge Nevermore for a ZeroFilter, and probably a few things more before I'm done. Probably gonna look into TAP later if that becomes a viable thing, seems really nice. Scope creep sure is a thing. 😅

looking forward for your build, BTW, do you find the right mount for ebb36 on mini AB?
I haven’t looked in to the ebb36 mount yet. Easy way is to just mount it behind the motor with some spacers. But it would be with something that cover it up a little.
Looking forward to seeing how it goes! Keep us posted please!
Will hopefully get some work done this weekend. Some more CAD work and maybe start printing some of the parts.

And tear down the v0 :devilish:

I haven’t looked in to the ebb36 mount yet. Easy way is to just mount it behind the motor with some spacers. But it would be with something that cover it up a little.

Will hopefully get some work done this weekend. Some more CAD work and maybe start printing some of the parts.

And tear down the v0 :devilish:
I’m excited!

Just downloaded the stl's for this conversion myself!

Will be following your build closely, thanks for logging it!
Nice!

My build have been put on hold due to a delay on the package with the screws, nutbars and hiwin rails for Y. Now they are on the way at least but currently stuck at the postal office for customs clearance. With a whole lot of luck I’ll get them on Friday. Otherwise it’ll probably be next week. Can’t wait to get started with the build!