What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

PSA: Enderwire conversions may have problems with screw lengths

mallcop

Staff member
Voron Owner
A friend and I are working on VS.113 before posting the transfer video. We noticed that some of the reprinted parts (rule 1: no mismatched color schemes) didn't tighten down properly. This is because of a difference in the thickness of the extrusions used on an Ender3 vs. the spec Misumi extrusions. The difference in thickness of the extrusions will cause the screws to bottom out against the bottom of the extrusion. This will feel like you've tightened the parts down correctly, but they will not hold.
creality.JPGspec.JPG

They will move around under load, tensioners won't stay tensioned, parts will flex, and more. It is very difficult to see during assembly. In our rebuild, we're just grinding a few threads off the end of the M5 bolts. In places where that's not practical, we're adding extra shims to just under the bolt head (or, sometimes, both). Shims are good about distributing pressure of the bolt against the plastic so you can snug down a bit more, but they will also allow the bolt to work loose easier. Loctite has been our friend for this.
problem.JPG

The easiest way to tell if you're encountering this is to try and pass a skinny zip-tie under the nut once assembled. If your bolt is tight, and a zip-tie fits, you are properly compressing the plastic against the extrusion. If the zip-tie cannot fit, you are likely bottoming out the screw against the extrusion, and need to either shim the screw head or use a shorter screw.

Was this bare Ender 3 or Pro? Could there be a variance in extrusions?
I'd love for others to get measurements, to see! I don't know the original history of the VS.113 Enderwire frame. I would imagine if they're all using V-wheels, it's all the same extrusion profile though.

I'd love for others to get measurements, to see! I don't know the original history of the VS.113 Enderwire frame. I would imagine if they're all using V-wheels, it's all the same extrusion profile though.

Measured mine and it is 2mm on all sides . Ender 3-pro