What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Removed thumb screw on toolhead and not sure how to put back...

Printer Model
V0.1
Hi,

Let me preface this by saying, I'm totally blind, so there may be some things I'm missing.

A very kind chap built me a Voron V0.1 which I received yesterday. I think there was some damage during transport but I'll get that sorted. The A-Frame for the hot bed was canted down. I've just bent it back into shape and hope the manual bed level will soak up any further variation.

The issue I have now is that I stupidly removed the thumb screw from the right side of the print head which, I believe dictates the tension of gears on the filament as it passes through the extruder. I have tried screwing it back in, both with the lever at its highest position and with it resting flush in the print head. Any time I try to load filament, however, the lever pops up and the gears loose traction. It is as if there is something I'm missing in clipping the lever down. The thumb screw is going through the vertical hole of the small blocky piece on the right side and then into the assembly under the lever.

Does anyone have any ideas what I've done wrong here?

thanks

Ollie

Hi Ollie, NoGuru here. I will try and do my best to describe it for you. The top latch needs to be up and lose for the filament to go into the extruder. When the latch is up the block on the side has the tensioner and this must be what you are talking about. You should not need to adjust the tensioner really once you have the right pressure.
Now, to close it, both the side block with the tension screw and the top latch need to close pretty much at the same time. The top latch should click into place. If something is off, it will pop open.

Hi Ollie, NoGuru here. I will try and do my best to describe it for you. The top latch needs to be up and lose for the filament to go into the extruder. When the latch is up the block on the side has the tensioner and this must be what you are talking about. You should not need to adjust the tensioner really once you have the right pressure.
Now, to close it, both the side block with the tension screw and the top latch need to close pretty much at the same time. The top latch should click into place. If something is off, it will pop open.
Thank you very much for your reply. So, do I simply screw the thumb screw in and then finness the latch and block to line up? I've tried this so many times. How far should the screw be in, it's got the spring so is very stiff. Is there something within the latch that should bite with the block? The block seems to be vertical sitting under the latch when the latch is in the flush (down) position

As I say, as soon as filament enters the head the latch pops and it loses purchase on the filament. I can understand there should be a latch bite so it all sticks together, but it just seems to lift with no problem or resistance.

Also, should I set this up, trying to combine the latch and block, which filament in the head or not? I think I was having issue as the kind builder tested with some abs and I think there may have been residue when I was trying to print with PLA, hence the messing about.

Awesome design by the way. Just want to start on the fun part. I think I need to move the z endstop too as the springs are pretty much completely decompressed to do the paper test. Think the A-frame got bent during shipping, which is a bit odd.

Okay, I have start out by saying I didn't realize this was for a V0 so I am not familiar with the extruder although it is similar to the After burner/stealth burner. There is a screw that the latch clips over when it's closed. I am not sure why it won't stay closed but it should just click and stay. As far as tension it should not need much unless you are printing at crazy fast speeds.

I will see if I can build the extruder so I can understand the situation better. Might just need a few days as I have 3 kids under 5 years old.

I just looked over the CAD design. The Hotend is a mini After burner and uses the same mechanism as the other extruders. The best option I would say is to make sure the tension screw is turned quarter or halfway in. Then push that latch that has the tension screw in towards the center as best you can then bring the top latch down to lock. If it does not stay, the extruder needs to be rebuilt or the latch is broken.

Okay, I have start out by saying I didn't realize this was for a V0 so I am not familiar with the extruder although it is similar to the After burner/stealth burner. There is a screw that the latch clips over when it's closed. I am not sure why it won't stay closed but it should just click and stay. As far as tension it should not need much unless you are printing at crazy fast speeds.

I will see if I can build the extruder so I can understand the situation better. Might just need a few days as I have 3 kids under 5 years old.
Okay, got it...

The way the lever is seated was slightly far to the right meaning the latching aspect of it wasn't biting on the tool head. I loosened off the screw around which the hinge pivots and , holding it with pressure over to the left, tightened it. Now, it bites and clips down. This was what I was missing here.

Thank you for your help. It made me understand what should be going on. I guess it is going to be a case of taking some stuff apart to have a peep inside to work out how these things go together as I obviously didn't build it.

It's printing now, or was, now I have the filament stuck in there so next step is to try and work out how to remove a jam.

O