What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

TMC2209 Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_x' register DRV_STATUS

Deeelta

Printer Model
Voron 2.4 BTT Octopus Pro 429
Extruder Type
Other
Cooling Type
Afterburner
Hi guys.

I spent 3 weekends on attempts to google out the problem, but failed...
Trying to start just built Voron 2.4 with BTT Octopus Pro 429, TMC2209. I'v tried to start with newly burned SD card without updates as well as tried to install all the updates Mainsail shows - all with same result: when checking steppers with STEPPER_BUZZ STEPPER=stepper_x command, Klipper shutdown with error "Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_x' register DRV_STATUS". First I was sure it's because MCU really can't reach TMC2209 by Uart, so I replace 5 pcs TMC2209, checked that jumper is set accordingly to manual to make TMC working in Uart mode, tried all x, y, z, z1, z2, z3 drives - all the same; but later I found 2 interesting points: 1) on this command drive actually do the "buzz" movement up and down once, before shutdown; 2) if to read the TMC state with DUMP_TMC STEPPER=stepper_x, it actually can read the DRV_STATUS data.

Please share any ideas what else I may miss...

Attachments

• klippy-5.log
    26.5 KB · Views: 2
Can you tell me what spots you have the drivers in on the board?
Also can I see the printer.cfg ?

Can you tell me what spots you have the drivers in on the board?
Also can I see the printer.cfg ?
Using spots accordingly to official manual: the last one spot on Octopus is empty. Drivers are Chinese Chaofan factory, no any schematics is available, but if you have any idea about wrong soldering of any pins - I have multimeter to check.

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1475.JPG
    IMG_1475.JPG
    297.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1474.JPG
    IMG_1474.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 6
  • printer.cfg.zip
    5.1 KB · Views: 1
What motors are you using? Maybe the wiring in backwards.
Config looks okay to me. Is this a 500mm printer?

What motors are you using? Maybe the wiring in backwards.
Config looks okay to me. Is this a 500mm printer?
Yes, 500*500*1000 printer. So I was thinking maybe because of size motors loaded too heavy, and driver stop due overloading by current - so I set it current limit to 1.6A (nothing changes). Motors are 17HS19-2004S1 from Stepperonline, with A+ A- B+ B- wires order. As I can see at Voron and Octopus documentation, motor pins are marked A1 A2 B2 B1 which looks like A+ A- B- B+, so I tried original order of wires and tried to reverse coil B wires - also nothing changes

Attachments

• IMG_1496 2.jpeg
    IMG_1496 2.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1497.jpeg
    IMG_1497.jpeg
    446.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1498.jpeg
    IMG_1498.jpeg
    176.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1501.jpeg
    IMG_1501.jpeg
    355.1 KB · Views: 4
I know you said you bought new drivers, did you buy the same ones or different brand?

Also did you set the jumpers in the correct spot under the drivers?
1723028309538.png

I know you said you bought new drivers, did you buy the same ones or different brand?

Also did you set the jumpers in the correct spot under the drivers?
View attachment 5126
I bought different, just in case. And to be even more sure about compatibility I bought right from BTT. They arrive Friday or Saturday.
Jumpers - yes, in UART mode. I tried to use (by jumpers) STEP/DIR mode, but can’t find where in settings set using that mode

Finally I have received drivers from BTT - they work with no issues. Compare the status they give with status Chaofang drivers give:
Chaofang: DRV_STATUS: 80190000 cs_actual=25 stst=1
BTT: DRV_STATUS: 80150000 cs_actual=21 stst=1
Can't see any logic why it doesn't work

At least it works! All drivers are constructed different and some have different layouts and pint outs.