What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_x' register IFCNT

Chops

So, Just finished building my v0.2 went to do the pre startup and buzz the steppers and I get this error ( Unable to read tmc uart 'stepper_x' register IFCNT ) anyone ever experience this before? Now this error happens for the y and z steppers also which leads me to believe its not a dead stepper driver unless they are all dead. everything else is working fans,heaters , themistors etc... My config is the sample config from the voron website adjusted for my setup.

Specs:

Skr Pico setup as a can bridge to a transceiver
pi 3b
mellow fly sht36 can board.

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears.

Thanks

Sounds like a config stepper pin error. Can you post your config file for us to look at?

Sounds like a config stepper pin error. Can you post your config file for us to look at?
I dont know a better way of sharing this other than copying and pasting the whole config here.

Attachments

• voronV0.2 - .txt
    13.7 KB · Views: 9
I don't see anything blatantly wrong with your config when comparing it to the baseline config on the v0.2 git.

Next ideas that come to mind:

1 - Did you remember to set the DIAG jumpers on the Pico for sensorless homing?

2 - I don't remember the exact error that is thrown, but bad crimps or mis-wired motor leads can cause issues with stepper drivers.

3 - Could be a longshot, but make sure you have power to going to the Pico itself. It may look like you have power to the board if you left the USB power jumper on after dealing with firmware, which would mean the stepper drivers aren't actually getting power even though the brains of the board are on.

I don't see anything blatantly wrong with your config when comparing it to the baseline config on the v0.2 git.

Next ideas that come to mind:

1 - Did you remember to set the DIAG jumpers on the Pico for sensorless homing?

2 - I don't remember the exact error that is thrown, but bad crimps or mis-wired motor leads can cause issues with stepper drivers.

3 - Could be a longshot, but make sure you have power to going to the Pico itself. It may look like you have power to the board if you left the USB power jumper on after dealing with firmware, which would mean the stepper drivers aren't actually getting power even though the brains of the board are on.
1. Diag jumpers are there
2. I’m going to check when I get home from work also verify the stepper wires are pinned correctly on the motor side. They are ldo steppers so I’m guessing they are ok but I’m going to verify.

3. Power is there. I was powering the pi off the pico board with no under voltage issues but I tried its own power source and no dice.

Crazy thing is even the extruder does it and it’s running on its own MCU (CAN board)

So wiring and pins are good. Im at a loss. I think I might just go full nuclear and re flash everything and see what happens.

Starting over by reflashing the board might be a good thing. It's still really odd that you can't get the CAN-controlled extruder stepper to work either.

There are 3 fuses on the board that you can check to continuity, the one by the power input is replaceable, but I doubt that's actually the issue.

I remember having issues with the Pico I had in my v0.1, which after initial setup wouldn't turn on or be seen by anything (and I believe something to do with UART addresses). I eventually got frustrated and replaced it with a spare SKR E3 Turbo I had sitting around.

So starting over did nothing , same error. Then I reflashed again and set it up without CANbus same thing. Then I set up a skr mini e3 v1.2 I had laying around just to test the steppers and they worked. I’m starting to think this board is doa.

That's unfortunate that it might be dead, but I'm glad you have another backup board (at least for testing).

Makes me wonder if there is a high failure rate for the Pico, or just some weird issue or chain of events that causes these problems.

Who knows. I like the idea of the pico, being able to use it as a can bridge and power the pi, it makes thing a lot neater. Do I roll the dice on another or use something else.

That choice is ultimately up to you. If they are cheap and easy to return, try another. If not, you could find another board you want and use a CAN hat for the raspberry (which is what I do for my v2.4, Trident, and soon-to-be-TriZero v0.1).

I didn’t. I just replaced the board with an a skr mini e3 v2 with a waveshare CAN hat on the pi.