What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Wire broke in cable chain, suggestions on a field repair?

m00dawg

Printer Model
Voron 2.4
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
A wire broke on the extruder cable chain that goes to my extruder motor. Thank goodness it was right there up front. Not sure how it happened though as it's in a place I wouldn't expect to see a lot of stress. In any case, I would guess the proper answer is to order a new wire bundle but for the meantime, is there a recommended method of doing a field repair so I can get back to printing while that's on order?

I can just solder it and use heat shrink or electrical tape but I also have those heatshrink/solder combos you can use with a heat gun. I'm just worried either of those options would cause the wire to rub against other wires and cause further failures.

A wire broke on the extruder cable chain that goes to my extruder motor. Thank goodness it was right there up front. Not sure how it happened though as it's in a place I wouldn't expect to see a lot of stress. In any case, I would guess the proper answer is to order a new wire bundle but for the meantime, is there a recommended method of doing a field repair so I can get back to printing while that's on order?

I can just solder it and use heat shrink or electrical tape but I also have those heatshrink/solder combos you can use with a heat gun. I'm just worried either of those options would cause the wire to rub against other wires and cause further failures.
Solder is not a good idea as it is brittle and will break in short order. The best for a temp fix, splice it with a crimp type connector with heat shrink over it. Leave enough wire length to avoid stress as much as possible.

To permanently fix, replace the whole wire with a new run. No need for a whole new bundle.

Oh yeah duh I dunno why I didn't think to just replace the single wire. Good point! Thanks for the sage advice! I should have a few crimping options so yep that'll work!

Last edited: