What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

160mm Salad Fork Build Log (DFH kit)

White frame, rails, m2 nut backers, rail backers (micron logo lol), steppers, and a well-organized container full of fasteners

Attachments

• IMG_1506 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1506 Large.jpeg
    279.4 KB · Views: 98
This is the build plate, din rails, ACM and acrylic panels, bed magnet, a really sweet all-black bed, cable chain and cable glands

Attachments

• IMG_1507 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1507 Large.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 73
Wires! The kit came with igus chain flex and a sleeve, and all of the other wiring and connectors needed.

Also shown are the fans, pins for the pin mod, AC inlet and misc connectors

Attachments

• IMG_1508 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1508 Large.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 56
Continuing with electronics, this is a manta setup with U2C, C1 compute module, EBB36 toolhead board.

Oh and ducks. Can't forget the ducks.

Attachments

• IMG_1509 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1509 Large.jpeg
    287.6 KB · Views: 48
Finishing the unboxening with PTFE tubes, feet, panel foam and misc bearings and gears

Attachments

• IMG_1510 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1510 Large.jpeg
    310.3 KB · Views: 55
This will be fun to follow! Been enjoying the streams from both Nero3D and Steve of their Salad Fork builds.

A Salad Fork of my own is high up on the list of future projects :D

Got these salad fork power switches from DFH, I'll modify one of the skirts to fit this in

Attachments

• IMG_1513 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1513 Large.jpeg
    154.9 KB · Views: 57
Parts! Still haven't decided which color I'm going on the toolhead so I printed both.

Color is Fusion Electrolytic Deuterium and accent is Fusion Thorium Thilver

Attachments

• IMG_1516 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1516 Large.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 61
Frames all sorted out per the docs

Attachments

• IMG_1521 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1521 Large.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 41
I prepped the rails, they came clean with no shipping grease on them. Movement on all of the rails was very smooth, nothing was crunchy at all. I was surprised at the lack of a grease port on them, until I realized the ends of the rail carriage were dust covers. Once I removed them I was able to put Mobilux Ep2 (my normal rail grease) in with no problem.

One nice little thing I also noticed about the rails is that the top of the carriage is etched with the rail information, this makes finding the correct rail for each assembly step much easier, especially if the lengths are similar

Attachments

• IMG_1524 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1524 Large.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 33
Also as I'm going through the build I am more than happy to answer any questions or grab a photo of something, so please feel free to chime in

Hey, Yeri! I see this Salad Fork will CAN. It will also Boop?

Hey, Yeri! I see this Salad Fork will CAN. It will also Boop?
probably yes. I printed klicky parts just in case. The only reason I'm not 100% yes on boop for this one is that this is going to be my "stable" printer, that I never ever mess with and is always ready to print parts. If I feel boop is stable enough by the time I get to that part of the build I'll go for it, but if it looks like there may still be changes to it I'll go with klicky first.

However my gut is saying boop is pretty stable for antfarm printers unless the team finds something that needs fixing

Z rails attached to the extrusions. Large extrusions have the rails 22mm from the end, the small one is 7mm

Attachments

• IMG_1525 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1525 Large.jpeg
    317.3 KB · Views: 33
Frame is coming together, this shows the z extrusions and rails all set up and the base of the frame is done. Next step is to get the Y extrusions, rails and backers all assembled and attached to the printer

Attachments

• IMG_1526 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1526 Large.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1527 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1527 Large.jpeg
    363.5 KB · Views: 32
And the core frame is assembled, backers installed. Starting to resemble a printer!

Next up I need to align the Y extrusions and square up the frame, printing the tools for that now and reprinting the feet, since I wasn't happy with the way they came out. This printer has to look good after all!

Attachments

• IMG_1528 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1528 Large.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 50
Finally happy with the bridging settings (this is 90% flow ratio and 100mm/s speed, 50% bridge lines density). Time to reprint some feet

Attachments

• IMG_1529 Large.jpeg
    IMG_1529 Large.jpeg
    409.3 KB · Views: 62