What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

ABS parts Bowing?

Printer Model
V2.4 300mm
Extruder Type
Clockwork 1
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
I have been trying to print a wing profile and am getting strange bend/curve in the print along the z axis. I have tried different amounts of cooling, different bed location, different temps. Also cleaned up some potential drafts coming in as a precaution but nothing seems to fix the problem it just varies slightly on how much it curves.

The curve or bowing does not go throught the whole part as well it seems to effect the front of the wing profile the most the print is staying stuck to the bed so it isn't compressing as if it came off.

Wing Profile1.jpg

Any Ideas?

That is on the agenda today for tests.

Going to print a tall cylinder with similar infill to see if it stays straight.
Going to print the file with a different ABS
Going to print the file with PLA

It's warping. Try with no fan, and printing slow or like 20% fan and slow.
Carbon Fiber ABS will mitigate this to an extent.

I have printed at fan speeds of 0,10, and 25% all with similar results.

Printing speed is 150mm/s and walls at 50mm/s (everything is 2 walls thick so pretty much 50mm/s the whole time.

I have printed at fan speeds of 0,10, and 25% all with similar results.

Printing speed is 150mm/s and walls at 50mm/s (everything is 2 walls thick so pretty much 50mm/s the whole time.
Okay those are all pretty good settings. What Brand is the ABS?
If you can do Glass or Carbon it should stop that but I realize that might not be an option.

It's a local house brand but one I have used before on similar parts with no issues. I have a couple different brands of ABS/ASA I will try.

Don't think I want to dip into the CF/Nylon for this part (it's just a wing core that will be fiberglassed over)

It's a local house brand but one I have used before on similar parts with no issues. I have a couple different brands of ABS/ASA I will try.

Don't think I want to dip into the CF/Nylon for this part (it's just a wing core that will be fiberglassed over)
Understood. Well, anytime I fight warping I slow down to a crawl and that usually gets me a decent part. Keep us posted.

I have tried different location/rotation for placement but can't really do a different oreintation due to the shape of the wing.

I could add a perimeter but so far my thought is that on the lower side of the wing the larger radius/more material versus the top side smaller radius less material is my issue and the reason for the warping.

These are what being made ( Bat flaps as we call them)
Wingmk2.jpg

I know you mentioned not wanting to use Carbon or Galss Fiber but it really does cut down the warping.

I have some GF-Nylon loaded in one of my printers now that has been dried for 24 hours if you want to send me the .stl I will sacrifice some to test.

I know you mentioned not wanting to use Carbon or Galss Fiber but it really does cut down the warping.

I have some GF-Nylon loaded in one of my printers now that has been dried for 24 hours if you want to send me the .stl I will sacrifice some to test.
I appriciate the offer but I still have a few more things I can try before I bust out the CF/Nylon. I haven't tried with PETG yet and that should work as a core just a little more flexible than I would like. I am also thinking of putting some I beam shapes in the infill to try and fight the shrinking/warping in certain directions.
1682005442176.png

So even the PLA parts sometimes warp I have added 2 more walls and it helped a bit but still can't seem to keep it straight. Last 2 attempts I have are PETG and CF/Nylon.

If anyone wants a go at trying it here is a link to the worst offending part.

I printed it in Polymaker ASA white and it seems okay to me. I tried to get the pic and my Calipers lined up as straight as possible.

Attachments

• IMG_2732 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2732 (Small).JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 10
Looks good do you have a pic of the straight edge against the bottom surface of the wing? (See my first post pic) Thats where the warping was happening my leading edge was fine even on my warped prints.

Also print settings?

ps. funny looking voron you have there!;)